The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy is an internationally recognized leader in pharmacy practice, education, and research. We develop leaders in pharmacy education, pharmacy practice, and pharmaceutical sciences who make a difference on human health worldwide. The School offers opportunities in pharmacy and the pharmaceutical sciences that are simply not available anywhere else.
The School is part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a major research university with a large teaching hospital and schools of medicine, public health, nursing, and dentistry. UNC anchors one corner of North Carolina’s famed Research Triangle Park, which hosts an abundance of pharmaceutical, biotech, and health-care companies. This environment offers abundant opportunities for collaboration in research, education, and patient care with partners in academia, industry, and health care. The School has specialized research centers pursuing advances in drug discovery, nanotechnology in drug delivery and cancer treatment, pharmacogenomics, and medication optimization.
In 2014 the School expanded its opportunities for collaboration by joining forces with the pharmacy schools at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, and University College London. The three institutions formed the PharmAlliance, an international partnership among the leading institutions of their kind on three continents. The alliance will tack on challenges that no one school could over come alone to advance and transform research, education, and practice in pharmacy and the pharmaceutical sciences worldwide.
The School is also home to the Eshelman Institute for Innovation, which was created by an unprecedented $100 million gift from Fred Eshelman in recognition of the School’s culture that supports taking chances on bold new ideas. The institute is dedicated to finding, fostering, and funding big ideas that may be risky but have the potential to transform education, research, and health care.
Guided by its Strategic Plan, the School greatly accelerated its growth and has built a reputation for cutting-edge research, rigorous programs, and outstanding faculty, staff, and students that make it one of the most dynamic centers of learning in the nation.
- Founded March 1897
- Accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education
- The only public school of pharmacy in the state of North Carolina and one of the oldest in the nation
- Ranked number two among the nation’s doctor of pharmacy programs in U.S. News & World Report magazine’s 2013 edition of America’s Best Graduate Schools
- Ranked second among the nation’s pharmacy schools in federal funding for research, according to AACP data
- UNC-Chapel Hill is ranked fifteenth in the world in pharmacy and pharmacology in the 2015 QS World University Rankings
- Doctor of philosophy in pharmaceutical sciences, or PhD
- Master of science in pharmaceutical sciences with a specialization in health-system pharmacy administration