Experiential education at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy provides real-life experience for Doctor of Pharmacy students by allowing them to actively participate as health-care providers in all pharmacy-practice settings. Pharmacy preceptors play a central role in the Experiential Education Program. They serve as mentors and role models who demonstrate high standards of professionalism. They show students how to apply knowledge learned in the classroom to daily practice. They evaluate student progress.
When you become a UNC pharmacy preceptor, you get
- the professional satisfaction of contributing to the education of students and giving back to the profession;
- opportunities to meet potential new pharmacy employees through students;
- free access to the AHEC Digital Library, which includes several great pharmacy resources;
- continuing-education opportunities focused on developing preceptor skills through live and online programs;
- networking opportunities with pharmacists statewide through School and regional functions;
- the opportunity to have a faculty appointment at Carolina; and
- possible reimbursement of $375 per student on your rotations (depending on how your employer handles this payment).
Want to Be A Preceptor?
Our Key Institutional Partners
- University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Mission Hospitals, Asheville, N.C.
- Duke University Hospital, Durham, N.C.
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals, Raleigh, N.C.
- Cone Health System, Greensboro, N.C.
- Vidant Medical Center, Greenville, N.C.
Claude Paoloni Preceptors of the Year: These awards recognize outstanding preceptors and sites who participate in the School’s experiential education curriculum. Each year the School honors both one community pharmacist and one health-system pharmacist who has contributed markedly to students’ educational development by demonstrating high standards of professionalism, ethics and professional practice.
Experiential Faculty Instructor of the Year Award: This award recognizes outstanding experiential faculty in the AHECs and regions. Each year, the School honors experiential faculty who have contributed markedly to student pharmacists’ educational development by demonstrating high standards of professionalism, ethics and professional practice.
Selection of the award recipients is based on nominations from the graduating class.
- 2017: Brian Murray
- 2016: Ian Hollis, Pharm.D., UNC Hospitals, Chapel Hill
- 2015: Holly Causey, Pharm.D., Duke University Health System Outpatient Clinic, Durham
- 2014: Jennifer Mando-Vandrick Pharm.D., Duke University Medical Center, Durham
- 2013: Edward Sredzienski, M.S. Pharm., UNC Hospitals, Chapel Hill
- 2012: Kamakshi Rao, Pharm.D., UNC Hospitals, Chapel Hill
- 2011: Matthew Ransom, Pharm.D., Mission Hospitals – Medication Assistance Program, Asheville
- 2010: Gigi Davidson, N.C. State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh
- 2009: Vickie Ripley, Pharm.D., Coastal Plain Hospital, Rocky Mount
- 2008: Jennifer Askew Buxton, Pharm.D., New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Wilmington
- 2008: Allison Walls, Pharm.D., Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte
- 2007: Wynn Sterling Wheeler, Pharm.D., Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte
- 2006: Randall Absher, Pharm.D., Wesley Long Hospital, Greensboro
- 2005: Mary Parker, Pharm.D., LeBauer HeartCare Moses Cone, Greensboro
- 2004: Vickie McLean, Pharm.D., Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte
- 2003: Stephanie Kiser, Pharm.D., Mission Hospitals – Medication Assistance Program, Asheville
- 2002: Angela Pegram, Pharm.D., Stanly Regional Medical Center, Albemarle
- 2001: Howard Peckman, Pharm.D., Dorothea Dix Hospital, Raleigh
- 2000: Mary Amarante, Pharm.D., Duke Medical Center, Durham
- 1999: Christine Rudd, Pharm.D., Duke Medical Center, Durham
- 2017: Mickey League
- 2016: Amy Sauls, Pharm.D.: UNC Campus Health Services, Chapel Hill
- 2015: Ouita Gatton, Kroger, Raleigh
- 2012: Monique Alford, Pharm.D., Community Care of North Carolina / Access Care Roberson County, Pembroke
- 2011: Jennifer Keller, Pharm.D., Pike’s Pharmacy, Charlotte
- 2009: Jimmy Wilson, Pharm.D., Dee’s Drug Store, Burgaw
- 2008: Jane Maney, Jane’s Rx Drugs, Mars Hill
- 2007: Davie Waggett, Seashore Discount Drug, Wilmington
- 2006: Lori Cahall Medlin, Pharm.D., Walgreens Pharmacy, Wilson
- 2004: Kent Tapscott, South Court Drug, Inc., Graham
- 1998: Tommy Dagenhart, Nalle Pharmacy, Charlotte
- 2017: Suzanne Harris, PharmD
- 2016: Josh Guffey, Pharm.D., Charlotte AHEC
- 2015: Pete Koval, Pharm.D., Greensboro AHEC
- 2014: Michelle Herrmann, Pharm.D., Eastern AHEC
- 2013: Debra W. Kemp, Pharm.D., Duke Region
- 2012: Ralph Raasch, Pharm.D., UNC Region
- 2011: Pete Koval, Pharm.D., Greensboro AHEC
- 2010: Michael Gabriel, Pharm.D., Charlotte AHEC
- 2009: Susan Miller, Pharm.D., MBA, Southern Regional AHEC
- 2008: Susanne Harris, Pharm.D., UNC Region
- 2007: Mollie Scott, Pharm.D., Mountain AHEC
- 2006: Dee Melnyk, Pharm.D., Duke Region
- 2005: Alissa Smith, Pharm.D., Charlotte AHEC
- 2004: Elizabeth Michalets, Pharm.D., Mountain AHEC
- 2003: Huyla Coker, Pharm.D., Area L AHEC
- 2002: Martha Jones, Pharm.D., Area L AHEC