Educational Research Fellowship
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Educational Innovation and Research
Health professions schools are uniquely positioned to examine critical research questions within education that are not only of importance to themselves, but of increasing importance and interest to larger audiences within education. Topics such as experiential learning, the flipped classroom, science education, layered learning, simulation, faculty and student development, and inter-professional education can reach well beyond health professions to inform educational practices across a wide range of contexts nationally and internationally. We believe that rigorous and systematic educational research will provide insight necessary to advance strategic initiatives, improve student outcomes, enhance workforce development, and position the School as a model of educational innovation and excellence.
This one-year postdoctoral research associate position provides exposure across the full range of educational research activities, including study design, data collection, data analysis, manuscript preparation, and grant writing. Although the program will be tailored to the research associate’s unique skills and experiences, s/he will gain broad experience in educational research and assessment, ranging from organizational outcomes such as institutional effectiveness and degree-program assessment to student outcomes such as performance and engagement.
A Ph.D. in educational research, higher education, or other related field is required. This appointment includes a UNC benefits package and competitive stipend.
- Educational Research: The postdoctoral research associate will join existing research project teams in addition to developing and implementing independent research. The postdoctoral research associate will provide research expertise to faculty and students developing scholarship of education projects.
- Teaching: This position will provide opportunities to develop student-teaching skills in large didactic and/or small group environments
- Institutional/School Service: This fellowship is primarily focused on developing proficiency in research, but limited institutional/school service (e.g. committees) opportunities are available.
- Professional Development: Course work in study design and statistical analysis is available. Other course work may be allowed depending upon the Fellow’s interest.
- Academic Meetings: The research associate is expected to attend and present at a least one academic conference/meeting.