Featured Featured News News Research Sidebar Featured News Students,
Mariava Phillips
January 29, 2024

Each year, the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy sends off the newest class of pharmacy professionals to start their pharmacy careers. The industry offers various paths to make a difference in health care, including continuing education through a pharmacy fellowship. A fellowship is an opportunity to dive deeper into an area of research in a post-doctorate setting. Below are a few of the School’s class of 2024 students who have received fellowships to begin after graduation.  

Jiahui (Jeff) Dong, class of 2024, Pharm.D. candidate

The Howard Janssen Scientific Affairs Fellowship is a two-year program at Howard University College of Pharmacy. Dong will have the opportunity to immerse himself in four core areas: medical information, payer and health systems, medical affairs and value and evidence scientific engagement. He will also explore other functional areas through cross-collaboration within the pulmonary hypertension and retina space.  

“As I move forward through this journey with the Howard Janssen Scientific Affairs Fellowship Program, I am incredibly thankful for the lessons, support and mentorship I have received from faculty, fellow students, mentors, preceptors and friends at Eshelman. The School has equipped me with the skills, and this fellowship is the next step toward making a tangible impact in the pharmaceutical field,” said Dong. 

Adam Aicha Hanne, class of 2024, Pharm.D. candidate

The Sanofi U.S. Market Access and Trade Fellowship is part of the Rutgers Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowship post-doctorates program. In this role, Hanne will primarily collaborate with the U.S. Market Access and Trade teams, contributing to projects involving all Sanofi branded products. Additionally, she will gain diverse experience through rotations in other key areas within the commercial sector, including pricing and contracting, patient support services and special management teams. 

“This fellowship carries profound significance for me as it resonates with my passion to create a substantial influence in shaping the medication accessibility landscape, both within the United States and globally. It underscores my dedication to contributing to the broader health care community and fostering access within the health care industry from its foundational roots,” said Hanne. 

Catherine Liu, class of 2024, Pharm.D. candidate

Through the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) and Pfizer Post-doctoral Research Fellowship in Clinical Pharmacology – Oncology, Liu will engage in pharmaceutical sciences research in quantitative pharmacology, drug discovery, drug development and clinical oncology at UCSD and at Pfizer Global Research and Development Business Unit in La Jolla, California. Specifically, she will write research proposals, develop data collection strategies and perform advanced data analyses including intensive and population-based pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and disease modeling. Furthermore, she will learn valuable prognostic tools for fulfilling model-based drug development, mathematical and statistical approaches that construct, validate and utilize disease models and drug exposure-response models to facilitate drug development.  

“To me, this fellowship means that I will be taking the next step in my pursuit of becoming a successful clinical pharmacologist/pharmacometrician, under the guidance of great mentors who are renowned in the field of clinical pharmacology,” said Liu. 

Vivian Tran, class of 2024, Pharm.D. candidate

The Late-Stage Clinical Development Fellowship in Primary Care at Merck in conjunction with Rutgers Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowship Program (RPIF) is a two-year fellowship where Tran will work in clinical development in therapeutic areas like cardiovascular and respiratory to advance Merck’s pipeline. The program allows Tran to plan, manage and execute projects surrounding late-stage clinical trials.  

“Since previously interning at Merck, I am excited to strengthen past connections and make new ones with new team members and other fellows within RPIF. I cannot wait to take this huge step forward in becoming a clinical scientist where I will contribute meaningful work on medications that could positively impact thousands of lives,” said Tran. 

Taysir Chamem, class of 2024, Pharm.D. candidate

Chamem is the incoming Global Clinical Sciences and Operations (GCSO) fellow at UCB in partnership with Industry Pharmacists Organization (IPhO). As a GCSO fellow, Chamem will acquire in-depth, end-to-end knowledge of the fundamentals of clinical trial operations, spanning from clinical trial design to drug approval. She will rotate through multidisciplinary sub-functions, ensuring the successful delivery of patient-preferred studies. She is eager to begin this unique experience as it represents the culmination of her industry interests and will enable her to serve those who need it most. 

“I am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of something greater than myself, to make an impact and to find solutions and value for people impacted by rare and serious diseases. I am excited to continue to challenge myself, grow and to bring the knowledge I’ve gained at Eshelman to create a better future,” said Chamem. 

Latest News