Featured Featured News Grants and Awards News Staff Uncategorized,
Mariava Phillips
December 18, 2023

From left to right: Amanda Schauer, Vishal Tiwari, Christina Pomykal, Jason Martin, Jamont Beatty, Bonnie Barsalou, Jacquelyn Covington and Christy Holland.

Each year, the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy recognizes the achievements of staff who excel in their area of expertise and who help create an engaging culture by upholding the School’s values and mission. With the addition of two new categories, there are a total of nine award winners this year. 

Behind the Scenes – Vishal Tiwari 

This person quietly gets the job done and remains dedicated to those we serve. “I am really grateful for having such a wonderful team and managers! It makes me happy and motivated to see them recognize my ‘behind the scenes’ efforts,” said Vishal Tiwari, senior data analyst. 

Mission Possible – Jacquelyn Covington 

This person is integral to the smooth operations of the School. They embody and display institutional goals. “I am so appreciative to work with the amazing people on my team. While the award meant a lot to me, the real honor is knowing that my colleagues think so highly of my work that they nominated me for such an award. I am very proud of the work I get to deliver at the Eshelman Institute for Innovation and feel grateful that I have found a team that provides me the support, opportunity and confidence to develop and progress my work skills. It makes me excited and invigorated to continue my work and continue to grow within the Institute,” said Jacquelyn Covington, project manager for the Eshelman Institute for Innovation.  

Above and Beyond – Caroline Sasser 

This person goes above and beyond the call of duty to get their job done and often assists others with projects. They seek and value collaboration in all aspects of their work. “I’m really touched to receive the Above and Beyond Award. It felt like a vote of confidence from my teams; a little “hooray” amongst the hustle and bustle,” said Caroline Sasser, PharmAlliance program coordinator. 

Making the Difference – Bonnie Barsalou 

This person elevates morale and helps build a sense of community. They embrace diversity and inclusion of thought, backgrounds and experiences that add to the richness the School brings to the community. “Receiving the Making the Difference Award was particularly impactful for me because creating a sense of community is something I am passionate about. I’m thankful for the opportunity to create an environment where everyone can be heard, appreciated and celebrated,” said Bonnie Barsalou, admissions coordinator. 

The Positivity Award – Christina Pomykal 

This person is upbeat and exhibits a can-do spirit. Talking to this person never fails to brighten your day because they exhibit respect and kindness always. “I’m honored to receive a staff recognition award and am grateful to work with the Organizational Effectiveness team. This award reflects how positive my OE colleagues are, as they are a joy to work with,” said Christina Pomykal, program manager for the Office of Organizational Effectiveness, Planning and Assessment.  

Rookie of the Year – Jamont Beatty 

This new employee of three to 18 months is energetically engaged in their new position and exhibits exceptional effort in the assigned role. They are committed to professional growth and have demonstrated a commitment to excellence. “I am both humbled and thankful for being honored by my division and School in this capacity. I am grateful to work with such a wonderful group of people and that makes me that much more grateful to be recognized as Rookie of the Year,” said Jamont Beatty, executive assistant in the Division of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy. 

Research and Collaboration – Amanda Schauer 

This person has made exceptional research contributions that significantly impact our School’s research mission and goals. They consistently uphold the highest research standards, and their actions promote the development of new ideas and discoveries. “This recognition means a lot to me, and I am exceedingly grateful to receive the Research and Collaboration Award. I am glad this staff award got added this year to be able to recognize people who don’t necessarily interact with all of the School on a daily basis but still help grow the School’s research mission and goals. I consider myself blessed to receive this award and the acrylic star plaque is super cute on my shelf,” said Amanda Schauer, senior research scientist in the Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics.  

Going BEYOND Award – Christy Holland 

This person exhibits creativity, resourcefulness and proactive measures in supporting the School’s strategic plan. This person consistently drives innovation and excellence across our organization. “I am humbled by receipt of this award, noting the amazing staff at the School and that someone took the time to nominate me. This award reminds me that while individual tasks and days may seem challenging along the way, it is important to remember my values and focus on the person first,” said Christy Holland, senior director of experiential programs. 

The Phyllis Smith Staff Award – Jason Martin 

This award is made possible through an endowment established to recognize Phyllis Smith, who dedicated 30 years of service to the School. The recipient is committed to the School’s pursuit of excellence by possessing leadership, being an effective team member and having a positive attitude and enthusiasm. “Winning the Phyllis Smith Staff Award is surreal and the highlight of my career. As it hangs in my office, it is a reminder of my wonderful IET team and colleagues that I wouldn’t be able to do anything without,” said Jason Martin, senior director of Information and Educational Technology.  

Latest News