Featured Featured News News Sidebar Featured News Students,
Mariava Phillips
September 6, 2023

When Fatimah Hussein, Pharm.D. candidate Class of 2027, arrived for orientation on August 1, it was her first time seeing the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. 

Hussein comes from a Palestinian family and spent parts of her childhood in both Palestine and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. “North Carolina seems so big compared to St. Thomas—it’s like a small town where everyone knows everyone,” she said.  

She received her associate degree in physics and bachelor’s degree in chemistry from the University of the Virgin Islands, but at the time, pharmacy wasn’t the goal. Hussein moved on to a graduate program in astrochemistry at the University of Virginia. However, during her first year, something felt off. 

“I didn’t feel like I was living up to my full potential. I didn’t like the idea of sitting in an office programming my life away—I wanted more interactions and to do something that impacted others more directly,” she said. 

With this realization, Hussein decided to take a gap year and discovered her heart for the health care industry. She had the opportunity to work as a pharmacy technician in St. Thomas and decided that pharmacy was the perfect path. 

“I chose pharmacy over other options in health care because of its dynamic nature, endless opportunities for growth and its flexibility. I love that I get to help others while doing something that I enjoy,” Hussein said. 

She started looking at pharmacy schools and prioritized a place that could help her grow, offer great opportunities and prepare her for a residency program. The School was top on her list and once she was accepted, it was an easy decision.  

Currently, Hussein is planning to pursue residency after completing her Pharm.D. and specialize in psychiatric pharmacy. She acknowledges that a lot can happen in four years, but she is certain she wants to be a clinical pharmacist and conduct research on the side.  

“I’m just so excited to get started,” she said. 

Latest News