Featured Featured News News Sidebar Featured News,
Daniel Alexander
September 7, 2022

PY4 Student Tatiana Hines was recently elected the National Vice President of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA). We conducted a Q&A with Tatiana to learn more about her pharmacy journey and the next steps for her future.

Q: Could you tell us a little about yourself?

A: I am a first generation PY4 student from a small town in Southern New Jersey called Sicklerville. I am the youngest of 3 and come from a family with a heavy sports background! Although I don’t play sports competitively, I enjoy playing tennis when I can.

Q: What got you interested in becoming a pharmacist?

A: When I was younger, I always had a keen interest for science, watching the Discovery Channel and medical shows on television instead of Disney. I knew that I wanted to become a pharmacist after seeing the impact a community pharmacist had on my grandmother who at the time was battling pancreatic cancer and had trouble affording her medications. It was the pharmacist who explained to her each medication in her regimen and also assisted in enrolling her in medication assistance programs. I knew I wanted to help others in a similar matter as a future profession.

Q: What made you choose the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy?

A: UNC ESOP was the only pharmacy school that I applied to. I appreciated the rich history of the school and its alumni. In addition, I appreciate the value that the school puts into professional development and the innovation of health care. When applying to pharmacy school, I knew that I wanted to receive training at a program with world-class faculty, ample resources, and a plethora of opportunities and I am thankful for the opportunity to be a Tar Heel!

Q: Why did you decide to join SNPhA?

A: SNPhA’s mission to serve the underserved and improve health outcomes has always aligned with my personal values. I decided to join the UNC chapter when I saw many of the older students that I admired in leadership positions; educating students on topics including mental health, CKD, cardiovascular disease, and HIV/AIDS; and being servant leaders by going in our communities to directly serve vulnerable patient populations. SNPhA affords countless opportunities to student pharmacists of all career interests and it has been a foundational component of my growth as a pharmacy student.

Q: What experiences from the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy will help you in your role at SNPhA?

A: In addition to the world-class education that UNC offers, I value the level of professionalism that program has in its students. Through classes including leadership & professional development (LPD), Pharmacotherapy, and patient care experience (PCE), I have many skills in my toolbox to be an effective leader and team member throughout all of the organizations that I am involved in.

Q: Have you had any mentors that have helped prepare you for this role?

A: My mentors that have helped prepare me for this role include Dean Carla White, Dr. Jo Ellen Rodgers, Dr. Jasmine Perry, Dr. Aliyah Cruz, and Dr. Chelsea Sumner. I thank them for believing in my abilities, their encouragement, and challenging me to continue to grow as a person. All of these mentors are extremely powerful women in their own rights who have paved the way for me to be the pharmacy professional that I am today. (If they are reading this right now, thank you!)

Q: What are some of the things you hope to accomplish in your role as the National Vice President?

A: As SNPhA National Vice President, my goal is to showcase the plethora of resources and benefits that SNPhA offers to its members. We are the largest student-run pharmacy organization and have a student-first mentality of encouraging the ingenuity of our members. I strive to continue to challenge our student members with our various competitions in community, clinical, managed care, and industry pharmacy settings; Increase social harmonization and membership across the nation; and to continue to innovatively challenge the status quo of the current landscape of pharmacy.

Q: What are your plans after graduation, and what do you hope to accomplish in your future as a pharmacist?

A: My plans after graduation are to pursue post-graduate positions at a biopharmaceutical company within the regulatory affairs functional area. In the future I hope to continue to creatively advocate for the pharmacy profession, be a leader within the pharmaceutical space, and help others to reach their fullest potential.

Latest News