Featured News News Sidebar Featured News,
Brittany Jennings
April 1, 2022

Raena Rhone Grace, Pharm.D., RPh. (left), and Kimberley Brown, Pharm.D.

At the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy, mentorship is a key element to student success. The School’s alumni and students have the opportunity to connect directly through the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy’s Alumni Mentorship Program, led by The Office of Organizational Diversity and Inclusion.

In this spotlight, we chat with Raena Rhone Grace, Pharm.D., RPh.,Florida A&M University and Bristol Myers Squibb postdoctoral resident (Class of ‘20), and her mentor Kimberley Brown, Pharm.D., Head of Medical Affairs, Janssen Infectious Diseases and Vaccines, Johnson & Johnson (Class of ’03). Raena and Kimberley met while Raena was completing her fourth year in pharmacy school and have continued to meet about every other month since connecting. Learn more about their experience in the mentorship program:

Question: Why did you want to participate in the mentorship program?
Answer Raena:
I was introduced to Kimberley in my fourth year as we were both involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives at the School. When I learned that Kimberley was a mentor at the school and a leader in the pharmaceutical industry, I could not wait to learn more about her journey. We set up recurring one-on-one meetings after our initial introduction and have been meeting ever since.
Answer Kimberley: There are limited opportunities to gain exposure to the world of pharma while in pharmacy school. Participation in the mentorship program enabled me to have a connection/pulse to current students/needs/strategy. I also saw this as a means to create a pipeline of talent from UNC to Johnson & Johnson.

Q: Can you think of a moment where Kimberley walked you through a difficult situation, or gave you advice you’ll always carry with you?
A Raena: What I like most about Kimberley is that she cares about my professional life as well as my personal life. She always encourages me to do what makes the most sense for my family as she knows that this is important to me. Many mentors only take concern in professional development, but personal and professional life are often intertwined. Choosing between job offers was very difficult for me and I appreciated Kimberley for reminding me of my family values and ensuring I pursued a role that made the most sense for me and my family in the long-term.

Q: What do you hope Raena gained from this mentorship?
A Kimberley: LIFE-work balance-understand what makes you happy!  Never take “no” for an answer – there is always a path to YES. How to enter, navigate, and be successful in the world of pharma.

Q: Did the mentorship advance your career in any way/what did you gain?
A Raena: Yes, through Kimberley’s mentorship I recently accepted an offer for my dream job! Kimberley provided me with advice about experiences I should obtain, how to structure my curriculum vitae, and how to interview effectively. She also connected me with other professionals who have played a key role in my development. An effective mentor also helps to expand your network as Kimberley has done.
A Kimberley: It helped me understand the evolution of the clinical program, gain a pulse of challenges/issues with students of color, and additional ways for me to get involved/support the student body and school overall.

Q: What would you say to other students about the importance of finding a mentor?
A Raena: I encourage all students to take advantage of the mentorship program. In order to get the most out of the program, it is important to always come prepared, ask good questions, and take notes as the advice that a mentor provides is invaluable. Kimberley has inspired me to mentor other students at the school, which I have already begun doing. I look forward to being a great mentor to other students at the school as Kimberley has been to me!
A Kimberley: Mentorship, and more importantly sponsorship is imperative to success. The world of pharma and pharmacy in general is highly relationships based. Take the learnings of others and apply them early. Also reverse mentoring is extremely important to understand multiple view points and gain different perspectives.

This mentoring initiative was piloted with the Office of Organizational Diversity and Inclusion. Stay tuned for more on these opportunities. 

Latest News