Featured News News Sidebar Featured News,
Brittany Jennings
March 16, 2022

Kathryn Morbitzer, Pharm.D., M.S. (left), and Michael Wolcott, Pharm.D., Ph.D.

UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy’s Kathryn Morbitzer, Pharm.D., M.S., and Michael Wolcott, Pharm.D., Ph.D., are recipients of the 2022 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) New Investigator Award.

The two join 14 others from around the United States in receiving this year’s honor. Morbitzer is recognized for her research, “Determining Non-Direct Patient Care Opportunities for PharmD Graduates,” and Wolcott for his work, “Preceptor OSTEs to Build Racially Inclusive Learning Environments.”

About the award, Morbitzer said, “I feel very fortunate to be a recipient of the AACP New Investigator Award. Many leaders in the pharmacy academy have previously received this award and it’s an honor for my research to be recognized among them. I also feel extremely grateful for my mentors who supported my application. This includes my project mentors, Jacqui McLaughlin and Mary McClurg, my Division Chair Stefanie Ferreri, and my Campbell Mentoring Program external mentor, Morris Weinberger.”

Wolcott added he feels, “Ecstatic. It is an honor and privilege to be selected for this award and I am incredibly excited about the opportunity to conduct research that is intended to have a meaningful impact with AACP’s support.”

Morbitzer said this award will help advance her understanding and ability to identify needs within the pharmacy profession and Pharm.D. curricula for preparing trainees for non-direct patient care careers. Her research is geared toward shedding light on new and emerging career opportunities for aspiring pharmacists, which she hopes will benefit the field of pharmacy.

“Since graduating from pharmacy school, I have taken a non-linear path to my current position. Through my experiences, I have gained exposure to the many non-direct patient care opportunities for pharmacists and have a passion toward promoting this avenue for those who have an enthusiasm for a career outside of a direct clinical role,” Morbitzer said. “Through this and future projects, I hope to make significant contributions to this priority area within the pharmacy academy.”

Wolcott’s project aims to help preceptors develop skill sets that can help them create more inclusive learning environments, particularly around racial and ethnic identities. Wolcott’s project will include the creation of a simulated encounter in which preceptors have an opportunity to practice how they respond to comments and situations that may be uncomfortable when discussing race and ethnicity.

“The hope is this project helps preceptors feel more comfortable and confident in addressing challenges they may encounter in practice. The aim is to support diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts conducted within the school and across the pharmacy academy by creating a unique learning experience for preceptors to practice and refine their skills,” Wolcott said.

Latest News