Kimberly Sanders, Pharm.D., is a clinical assistant professor in the Division of Practice Advancement and Clinical Education at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. She also has a shared appointment as an assistant professor in the Department of Dental Ecology at the UNC School of Dentistry. Sanders earned her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Purdue University. She completed a one-year pharmacy practice residency at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center as well as a two-year academic postdoctoral research fellowship in pharmacy practice model advancement at UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. She is a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist and a member of numerous pharmacy professional organizations. She is primarily involved in building a partnership between the schools of pharmacy and dentistry through initiatives to develop, implement, and evaluate clinical pharmacy services in dental practice clinics as well as active in the creation of longitudinal interprofessional education curricula. Sanders’ area of scholarship is at the interface of educational and practice-based research with focus on interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
Her collaborative practice experience includes working with providers and care managers in joint appointments to help address the needs of patients at high risk for hospital readmission within the UNC Family Medicine Center care transitions clinic. She also has practice experience within a collaborative geriatrics specialty clinic. Sanders is passionate in focusing her clinical efforts on high risk and vulnerable populations and utilizing a team-based approach to best optimize patient care.
Practice Site: UNC School of Dentistry Practice Clinics
- Interprofessional education and practice
- Ambulatory care
- Clinical outcomes
Selected Poster Presentations
- Sanders KA*, Wolcott MD*, McLaughlin JE, Shea CM, D’Ostroph AR, Pinelli NR. Organizational readiness for early immersion of student pharmacists in health-system practice. Am J Pharm Educ. 2016;80(5):Article S2. Poster Presentation: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Conference: Anaheim, CA. Jul 2016.
- Sanders KA*, Waldron K, Willoughby I, McLaughlin JE, Pinelli NR. Educational outcomes associated with student pharmacist immersion in accountable patient-care roles in health-system practice. Pharmacotherapy 2015;35:e93. Poster Presentation: American College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy: San Francisco, CA. Oct 2015.
- Sanders KA*, Hawes EM, Tong GL, Sievers L, Gwynne M, Lipshutz A, Chao S, Pinelli NR. Medication-related problems identified during pharmacist hospital discharge clinic visits. Pharmacotherapy 2015;35:e83 Poster Presentation: American College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy: San Francisco, CA. Oct 2015.
Selected Invited Presentations
- Impact of Pharmacotherapy on Dental Practice, Mountain AHEC Dental Provider Continuing Education (2 hours), Asheville, NC
- 2014-2016 Academic Research Postdoctoral Fellowship UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy, Chapel Hill, NC
- 2013-2014 Postgraduate Year One Pharmacy Residency University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH
- 2009-2013 Doctor of Pharmacy Purdue University College of Pharmacy, West Lafayette, IN
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist