Paul Bush, Pharm.D., is currently chief pharmacy officer for Duke University Hospital in Durham, North Carolina and program director for the Health System Pharmacy Administration/MS residency.
He has held the positions of director of pharmacy services for Detroit Osteopathic Hospital, St. John Hospital and Medical Center, and Medical University of South Carolina, and was corporate director for Clinical Pharmacy Services for Horizon Health System.
Bush previously served on the faculty of the Medical University of South Carolina (1999-2009) and Wayne State University (1984-1999) and served as clinical associate dean for Medical Center and Health Systems for the South Carolina College of Pharmacy.
He recently completed a three year term as member of the Board of Directors of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Bush is past-treasurer of the Michigan Pharmacists Association. He has served on the Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists Board of Directors and held the position of president-elect. Bush is past-chair of the ASHP Section of Pharmacy Practice Managers, past-chair of the University HealthSystem Pharmacy Council and has served as a member of the ASHP House of Delegates, Commission on Credentialing, Commission on Goals, and the Practice Model Summit Advisory Committee. He has been an active member of NCAP since 2009.
Bush was awarded the John W. Webb Lecture Award by Northeastern University and ASHP, an honorary Doctor of Science degree from Campbell University and a Distinguished Service Award by the ASHP Section of Pharmacy Practice Managers.
- Practice models
- Medication safety
- Changing a Profession: The New Pharmacy Practice ModelsMorning SymposiaAmerican Association of Clinical Chemists Annual Meeting and Clinical Lab Expo 2015Atlanta, GA, July 27, 2015
- Celebrating 30 Years of Transformational Leadership – The John W. Webb Lecture AwardIvey MF, Maddox RR, Daniels CE, Bush PWASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim, December 2014
- International High-end Forum of Hospital Pharmacy PracticeChinese Hospital AssociationBeijing, China, June 26, 2012Guangzhou, China, June 28, 2012Shanghai, China, June 30, 2012
- Leadership: At All LevelsJohn W. Webb Lecture AwardNortheastern University – Bouve College of Health Sciences School of PharmacyBoston, MA, October 24, 2011
- Leadership: At All LevelsJohn W. Webb Lecture AwardASHP Conference for Leaders in Health-System PharmacyChicago, IL. October 17, 2011
- Risk Management/Medication Safety &Automation in Hospital PharmacyXX Pan American Congress of Pharmacy and XIV Congress of the Pharmaceutical FederationSouth America, Porto Alegre, Brazil, May 2010
- Pharmacy Practice in the United StatesAstana (Kazakhstan) Medical University MBA ProgramDuke Medicine Global ProgramDurham, NC June 5, 2014
- Changes and Challenges: Opportunities AheadCommencement AddressCampbell University College of Pharmacy and Health SciencesBuies Creek, NC May 9, 2014
- Health-System Applications of Practice Model DevelopmentBush PW, Daniels RSeventh Annual Chapel Hill Drug ConferenceUniversity of North Carolina Eshelman School of PharmacyChapel Hill, NC May 17, 2013
- The Changing Face of Pharmacy – Health System Pharmacy at Duke University HospitalInaugural Educational Renaissance SymposiumUniversity of North Carolina Eshelman School of PharmacyChapel Hill, NC. December 17, 2012
- Heath T, O’Mara K, Krushinski JH, Bush P. Comparison of Pharmacist-Performed and Physician or Advanced Practice-Provider- Performed Medication History in pediatric Patients. Journal of Pharmacy Technology. 2015: 1-4.
- Knoer S, Weber RJ, Witmer DR, Zilz DA, Ashby DM, Rough S, Stevenson JG, Bush PW, Calabrese SV, Chen D. Highlights of the Cleveland Clinic Pharmacy Practice Model Summit. Am J Heath-Syst Pharm. 2013; 70:356-65
- Rosoff M, Patel KR, Scates A, Rhea G, Bush PW, Govert JA. Coping with critical drug shortages. Arch Intern Med. Published online September 24, 2012. Doi:10.100/archinternmed.2012.4367
- Bush PW. Leadership at all levels. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2012: 69:1326-30
- Bush PW, Ashby DM, Guharoy R, Knoer S, Rough S, Stevenson JG, Wiest M. Pharmacy practice model for academic medical centers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2010; 67:1856-1861
- Decoske MA, Bush PW, Teeters JL. Preparing for pharmacy residency accreditation surveys. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2010; 67:469-475
- Bush PW, Patel K, Miller DE. Pharmacy Operations and Administration. In: Pharmacy Certified Technician Training Manual, Lansing MI: Michigan Pharmacists Association; 12th edition, 2012
- Epplen K, Bush PW. Developing a Business Plan for an Ambulatory Practice. In: Building a Successful Ambulatory Care Practice: A Complete Guide for Pharmacists, Bethesda, MD, American Society of Health System Pharmacists, 2012.
- Bush PW, Walesh SG. Managing and Leading – 44 Lessons Learned for Pharmacists, Bethesda, MD,American Society Health System Pharmacists, 2008
- Bush PW. Building the Financial Plan for a New Pharmacy Service. In: Financial Management for Health System Pharmacists, Bethesda, MD, American Society of Health System Pharmacists, 2008.
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wayne State University
- Masters in Business Administration, Wayne State University
- B.Sc. in Pharmacy, University of Michigan