Susan Blalock, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a professor in the Division of Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy. She is a behavioral scientist with expertise in the area of patient and public health education and is particularly interested in risk communication and the impact of pharmaceutical care, including patient education and counseling, on patient health outcomes. Her research focuses primarily on the prevention and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and osteoporosis. Her current work includes studies evaluating the impact of community-pharmacy based illness prevention and disease management programs.
- Health outcomes assessment
- Risk communication
- Psychosocial aspects of chronic illness
- Patient decision-making
- Adherence to therapeutic regimens
- Blalock SJ, Sleath B. Risk Evaluation and Communication. In Strom BL, Kimmel SE, Hennessey S, eds. Pharmacoepidemiology, 5th ed. Oxford: Wiley & Sons, 2012.
- Blalock SJ, Keller S. Consumer Assessment of Pharmacy Quality. In, Warholak TL, Nau DP, eds. Pharmacy Quality: Improving the Safety and Effectiveness of Pharmacy Services. London: McGraw-Hill; 2010.
- Blalock SJ, Beard AJ, Dusetzina SB. Individual/Interpersonal Models of Health and Illness Behavior. In Rickles NM, Wertheimer AI, Smith M, eds. Social and Behavioral Aspects of Pharmaceutical Care, 2nd. Edition. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett, 2010.
- Blalock SJ, Roberts AW, Lauffenburger JC, Thompson T, O’Connor SK. The effect of community pharmacy-based interventions on patient health outcomes. Med Care Res Rev, in press
- Viswanathan M, Golin CE, Jones CD, Ashok M, Blalock SJ, Wines, RCM, Coker-Schwimmer EJL, Rosen DL, Sista P, Lohr KN. Interventions to improve adherence to self-administered medications for chronic diseases: a systematic review. Ann Int Med, in press
- Elstad EA, Carpenter DM, DeVellis RF, Blalock SJ. Patient decision making in the face of conflicting medication information. Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being, in press.
- Carpenter SM, Blalock SJ, DeVellis RF. Do patients with a rare disease use pharmacists for medication information? J Am Pharm Assoc, in press
- Carpenter DM, Elstad EA, Blalock S, DeVellis RF. Conflicting medication information: Prevalence, sources and relationship to medication adherence. J Health Commun, in press.
- Casteel C, Blalock SJ, Ferreri S, Roth MT, Demby KB. Implementation of a community pharmacy-based falls prevention program. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother, 2011;9(5):310-9. PMID: 21925959
- Cox WC, Smith H, Tydif M, Blalock SJ. Predictors of academic difficulty in a Doctor of Pharmacy program. Int J Pharm Education, 2012;8(1).
- Sleath B, Blalock SJ, Covert D, Stone JL, Skinner AC, Muir K, Robin AL. The relationship between glaucoma medication adherence, eye drop technique, and visual field defect severity. Ophthalmol, 2011;118(12):2398-402. PMID: 21856009
- Blalock SJ, Keller S, Nau D, Frentzel EM. Development of the Consumer Assessment of Pharmacy Services survey. J Am Pharm Assoc, 2012;52(3):324-32. PMID: 22618972
- Patterson ME, Blalock SJ, Smith AJ, Murray MD. Associations between prescription copayment levels and beta-blocker medication adherence in commercially insured heart failure patients 50 years and older. Clin Ther, 2011;33(5):608-16
- Sleath BL, Blalock SJ, Stone JG, Skinner AC, Covert D, Muir K, Robin AL. Validation of a Short Version of the Glaucoma Medication Self-Efficacy Questionnaire. Br J Ophthalmol, 2011 May 24. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21610264 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
- Blalock SJ. The theoretical basis for practice-relevant medication use research: patient-centered/behavioral theories. Res Soc Adm Pharm, 2011 Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:21272552 [PubMed – as supplied by publisher]
- Aljadhey H, Tu W, Hansen RA, Blalock SJ, Brater DC, Murray MD. Risk of hyperkalemia asssociated with selective cox-2 inhibitors. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 2010;19(11)1194-1198
- Blalock SJ, Casteel C, Roth MT, Ferreri S, Demby KB, Shankar V. Impact of enhanced pharmacologic care on the prevention of falls: a randomized, controlled trial. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 2010;8(5):428-440.
- Farley JB, Wang C, Blalock SJ. The status of Ph.D. education in economic, social, and administrative sciences between 2005 and 2008. Am J Pharm Educ2010;74(7):126
- Blalock SJ, Demby KB, McCulloch KD, Stevens JA. Factors influencing hip protector use among community-dwelling older adults. Injury Prevention2010;16(4):235-9.
- Sleath B, Blalock SJ, Robin A, Hartnett ME, Covert D, DeVellis B, Giangiacomo A. Development of an instrument to measure glaucoma medication self-efficacy and outcome expectations. Eye, 2010;24(4):624-631.
- Beard AJ, Sleath B, Blalock SJ, Roth M, Weinberger M, Tudor G, Chewning B. predictors of rheumatoid arthritis patient-physician communication about medication costs during visits to rheumatologists. Arthritis Care Res, 2010;62(5):632-9.