The Carolina Association of Pharmacy Students at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy won multiple awards and honors at APhA2013, the annual meeting of the American Pharmacists Association held this year in Los Angeles March 1 to 4.
- The CAPS patient-care project Generation Rx was selected for the third-place National Generation Rx Award. Generation Rx is a patient-care project that aims to educate students and community members about the dangers of prescription drug misuse and abuse.
- CAPS also received the Division A First Runner Up Chapter Achievement Award. Division A is composed of the schools of pharmacy across the country with more than 550 students. This is the second time that UNC has received a divisional chapter achievement award.
- The CAPS Pharmflix submission was also among the top ten videos in the most informative and best picture category. This year was only the second time that the chapter has participated in this competition, and the second year in a row that the submission has landed in the top ten.
- The chapter won the Your Vote, Your Voice Facebook Challenge, in which chapters competed to increase social media awareness of the importance of voting.
In addition to the chapter awards, third-year student Justin Arnall won one of four Student Leadership Awards given annually to students in their third year of school across the country. This is the third time a member of CAPS has received this award. Previous UNC award winners are Elizabeth Alford in 2011 and Virginia Suiter in 1986.
Third-year student Stephanie Craycroft also represented the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy in the National Patient Counseling Competition. Craycroft won the UNC Patient Counseling Competition earlier in the spring semester and went on to compete at the national level at the annual meeting.
This meeting also signaled the conclusion of PY4 David Steeb’s term as president of APhA-ASP. Steeb’s presidential theme of Make Your Mark was shared with student pharmacists across the country. CAPS members served in a number of other leadership roles at APhA2013:
- Heather Coleman (PY2) and Audrey Schnell (PY2) were chapter delegates to the APhA-ASP House of Delegates.
- Erin Turingan (PY2) was a member of the APhA-ASP National Nominating Committee.
- Megan Smith (PY4) was vice chair of the APhA-ASP Education Standing Committee and a member of the APhA-ASP House of Delegates Credentials Committee.
- Michael Wolcott (PY3) was the incoming vice chair of the APhA-ASP Awards Standing Committee.
- Justin Arnall (PY3) was a candidate for APhA-ASP National Member-at-large.
Clinical Associate Professor Macary Marciniak, PharmD, and Associate Professor Dennis Williams, PharmD, are the faculty advisers for CAPS.