United Therapeutics Clinical Research and Drug Development Fellowship
This fellowship is sponsored in collaboration with United Therapeutics and is part of the DPET fellowship program.
United Therapeutics is not recruiting for this fellowship for 2021.
This postdoctoral fellowship program provides training and experience in the conduct of clinical drug trials, participation in clinical research projects under the direction of a UNC faculty member and an industry preceptor, didactic instruction in courses that supplement training and professional interests, and exposure to ethical, legal, and regulatory issues in research involving investigational and marketed drugs. Fellows participate in clinical research studies with faculty at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy during the first year of appointment, and with members of a drug development clinical research group (phases I–IV) at United Therapeutics in the second year.
The ideal candidate should have a PharmD and possess strong analytical skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, good organizational abilities, and evidence of leadership and team work.
The first year of the fellowship will be spent at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. Fellows will be mentored by UNC faculty as they participate in clinical research studies.
The second fellowship year will be spent working with researchers in the drug-development group at United Therapeutics. The company is located in the Research Triangle Park, a fifteen-minute drive from the UNC campus.
The fellowship provides
- the opportunity to develop expertise in the conduct of clinical drug trials;
- participation in original clinical research projects under the direction of a faculty mentor and industry preceptor;
- didactic instruction in statistics and clinical drug design that supplements training and personal interests; and
- exposure to in vitro and in vivo laboratory methods used to evaluate drug absorption, metabolism, and pharmacogenomics.
Fellows will learn to
- work as part of a clinical development team responsible for the studies necessary to bring an investigational drug to market;
- develop, review, and compose protocols, study reports, and regulatory submissions;
- participate in the selection, setup, and monitoring of clinical sites participating in pharmacokinetic and/or Phase II/III studies;
- answer drug-information questions from clinicians regarding approved drug products;
- prepare abstracts, posters, and manuscripts that result from preclinical, pharmacokinetic, or Phase II/III studies; and
- participate in projects and activities in a variety of departments, including regulatory affairs, clinical monitoring, drug safety, data management, statistics, pharmaceutical sciences, project planning and finance, and marketing (the selection of departments depends on individual fellow’s interests).
About United Therapeutics
United Therapeutics Corporation is a biotechnology company focused on the development and commercialization of unique products to address the unmet medical needs of patients with chronic and life-threatening conditions. Currently, the company’s revenue-generating products are all in the field of cardiovascular medicine. While building business value in the cardiovascular field, the company is also laying important foundations for future franchises in the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases.
Robert Dupuis, Pharm.D.
Clinical Professor of Pharmacy and Director of Fellowship Programs
3313 Kerr Hall, CB # 7569
United Therapeutics Preceptor
Peter Smith, PharmD
Director, Product Development