DPET Strategic Plan
The Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics (DPET) within the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy consists of faculty with expertise in clinical pharmacology, drug toxicity, drug development, education, and practice innovations. Our Division houses the majority of translational, bench-to-bedside research efforts. Through our research, we generate new knowledge in drug treatment, and accelerate its application to improve patient care.
DPET holds a differential advantage in combining practicing faculty with clinically trained researchers. This will allow us to be global leaders in integrating clinical pharmacology discoveries into precision medicine. We have unique collaborations with the drug development industry, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), renowned health science centers, and global partners. We also have innovative teachers and mentors, and are committed to educating and training the next generation of pharmacists and translational scientists.
This strategic plan was developed in 2016 with thoughtful consideration by our faculty, staff, and learners. Our vision statement summarizes our aspirational goal, while our mission defines how our members will invest their time and energy to achieve our vision. Our core values critically define who we are and what we believe in, and are consistent with the aspirational goals of our Division.
The development of this plan is an important achievement for DPET. It was crafted to carefully align with the School’s 2012-2017 strategic plan. Our faculty and staff identify with the strategic initiatives that compose the plan, and understand that they form the compass for defining our future. As such, we are committed to the significant effort that will be required to implement and execute our plan.
DPET has accomplished much in the 15 years since it was re-engineered from Pharmacy Practice. We will continue to work together in realizing our new shared vision, and together we will accomplish great things.
To improve lives by leading the world in translating experimental and clinical pharmacology discoveries into precision medicine.
Our key indicators include:
- Our faculty lead multidisciplinary collaborations.
- Our research findings become global best practices in patient care, regulatory guidance, and drug development.
- Our faculty are highly sought after by funding agencies, national/international organizations, academic institutions, regulatory agencies, and others for their expertise.
- Our faculty have sustained global training collaborations.
- Our faculty, alumni, and trainees are in impactful leadership positions globally.
- International and clinically trained scholars continually seek our exceptional training and research environment.
- Our alumni are highly sought after for their broad training and unique skill sets.
To generate and disseminate new knowledge in pharmacotherapy and accelerate its application to improve patient care.
We will accomplish this by:
- Delivering innovative education and training the next generation of pharmacists and translational scientist leaders.
- Integrating experimental and clinical pharmacology discoveries into the practice of precision medicine.
- Achieving global impact through unique collaborations with industry, regulatory agencies, renowned health science centers, and international entities.
- Leading and participating in local, state, national and international organizations, communities, and programs.
Our Core Values
- We are innovators.
- We are committed to excellence.
- We value multidisciplinary collaboration in research, education, and patient care.
- We uphold integrity, collegiality, and mutual respect.
- We foster professional growth and promote diversity.