Xiaodong Wang, Ph.D.
Professor, Center for Integrative Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery
Marsico Hall, Room 3204, CB# 7363, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-7363
We are interested in developing drug leads/candidates for new targets including kinase, phosphate kinase and protein targets identified by UNC faculty and external investigators. We have successfully used the structure- and/or ligand-based drug design approaches to deliver compounds to clinic (MerTK inhibitors) or licensing (IDH1 inhibitor, co-developed with NCATs). We will continue to apply the similar approaches for drug discovery towards new targets.
Synthetic Methodology Development
Heterocyclic compounds are widely used in drug discovery as key pharmacophores. However, some are not readily available and are difficult to prepare in the variety and quantities needed for structure-activity relationship studies. We are currently interested in developing short, effective and robust synthetic routes for these heterocycles.
- Developing MERTK/AXL dual inhibitors for treatment of cancer by targeting tumor cells and activating anti-tumor immunity
- Discovery of novel TYRO3-selective inhibitors for cancer treatment
- Developing IP6K1 inhibitors for novel treatment of NAFLD/NASH
- Developing in vitro and in vivo probes for new Alzheimer disease targets
- 1997–2002 PhD in Organic Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 2002–2004 Staff Scientist, Lead Generation and Lead Optimization, Array BioPharma (Boulder, CO)
- 2004–2006 Research Scientist, Lead Optimization, Array BioPharma (Boulder, CO)
- 2006–2007 Research Investigator I, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Genomic Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (San Diego, CA)
- 2008–2014 Assistant Director of Medicinal Chemistry, Center for Integrative Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery; Research Assistant Professor, Division of Chemical Biology and Medicinal Chemistry, Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- 2014-2020 Director of Medicinal Chemistry, Center for Integrative Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery; Research Associate Professor, Division of Medicinal Chemistry, Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- 2020-Present Director of Medicinal Chemistry, Center for Integrative Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery; Research Professor, Division of Medicinal Chemistry, Eshelman School of Pharmacy