Timothy J. Ives, Pharm.D., M.P.H.
Adjunct Professor, Medicine-Internal Medicine
1313 Kerr Hall, UNC Eshelman School Of Pharmacy, CB# 7574, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-7574
Timothy J. Ives, Pharm.D., M.P.H., is Professor of Pharmacy and Medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received his baccalaureate and doctoral degrees in pharmacy at the University of Florida, a Master of Public Health in health policy and administration, and a fellowship at UNC-Chapel Hill. Prior to coming to Carolina, he was a member of the faculties of the University of Utah and the Medical University of South Carolina. Ives is a licensed pharmacist and clinical pharmacist practitioner in North Carolina. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, as well as the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
At UNC-Chapel Hill, Ives has served as interim Chair of the Division of Pharmacy Practice, Chair of the Orange County Board of Health, and currently directs the Chronic Pain Program in the Division of General Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology of the UNC School of Medicine.
He is the current Chair of the University of North Carolina System Faculty Assembly.
- Chronic pain management
- Cardiovascular/endocrine disease management
- Development of primary care roles for pharmacists
- Vaiyapuri Subramaniam; Karim Anton Calis; Robert C. Dombrowski; Timothy J. Ives; Linda Gore Martin; Carlene McIntyre; Steven R. Moore; Frank Pucino; John Quinn; et al. ASHP statement on the role of health-system pharmacists in public health. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2008;65(5):462-467.
- Lori M. Dickerson; Connie K. Kraus; Grace M. Kuo; Cynthia A. Weber; Oralia V. Bazaldua; John M. Tovar; Anne L. Hume; Timothy J. Ives; John G. Gums; et al. Formation of a primary care pharmacist practice-based research network. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. 2007;64(19):2044-2049.
- Robb Malone; Betsy Bryant Shilliday; Timothy J. Ives; Michael Pignone. Development and evolution of a primary care-based diabetes disease management program. Clinical Diabetes. 2007;25(1):31-35.
- Nicholas M. Potisek; Robb M. Malone; Betsy Bryant Shilliday; Timothy J. Ives; Paul R. Chelminski; Darren A. DeWalt; Michael P. Pignone. Use of patient flow analysis to improve patient visit efficiency by decreasing wait time in a primary care-based disease management programs for anticoagulation and chronic pain: A quality improvement study. BMC Health Services Research. 2007;7():.
- Esther Moraa Onyoni; Timothy J. Ives. Assessing implementation of cultural competency content in the curricula of colleges of pharmacy in the United States and Canada. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2007;71(2):.
- Timothy J. Ives; Paul R. Chelminski; Catherine A. Hammett-Stabler; Robert M. Malone; J. Stephen Perhac; Nicholas M. Potisek; Betsy Bryant Shilliday; Darren A. DeWalt; Michael P. Pignone. Predictors of opioid misuse in patients with chronic pain: A prospective cohort study. BMC Health Services Research. 2006;6():.
- Paul R. Chelminski; Timothy J. Ives; Katherine M. Felix; Steven D. Prakken; Thomas M. Miller; J. Stephen Perhac; Robert M. Malone; Mary E. Bryant; Darren A. DeWalt; et al. A primary care, multi-disciplinary disease management program for opioid-treated patients with chronic non-cancer pain and a high burden of psychiatric comorbidity. BMC Health Services Research 2005;5():.
- Karim Anton Calis; Lisa C. Hutchison; Mary E. Elliott; Timothy J. Ives; Alan J. Zillich; Therese Poirier; Kevin A. Townsend; Betsy Woodall; Stuart Feldman; et al. Healthy people 2010: Challenges, opportunities, and a call to action for America’s pharmacists. Pharmacotherapy. 2004;24(9):1241-1294.
- Iris H. Hall; U. Schwab; E.S. Ward; T. Ives. In vitro anti-inflammatory effects and immunomodulation by gemifloxacin in stimulated human THP-1 monocytes. Pharmazie. 2004;59(9):713-719.
- Iris H. Hall; Ute E. Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; John C. Rublein; John D. Butts; Timothy J. Ives. Human THP-1 monocyte uptake and cellular disposition of14C-grepafloxacin. Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy. 2004;10(1):11-18.
- Iris H. Hall; Ute E. Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; Timothy Ives. Disposition and intracellular levels of moxifloxacin in human THP-1 monocytes in unstimulated and stimulated conditions. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2003;22(6):579-587.
- Iris H. Hall; Ute E. Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; Timothy J. Ives. Effects of moxifloxacin in zymogen A or S. aureus stimulated human THP-1 monocytes on the inflammatory process and the spread of infection. Life Sciences. 2003;73(21):2675-2685.
- Iris H. Hall; Ute E. Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; Timothy J. Ives. Effects of alatrofloxacin, the parental prodrug of trovafloxacin, on phagocytic, anti-inflammatory and immunomodulation events of human THP-1 monocytes. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 2003;57(8):359-365.
- Timothy J. Ives; Ute E. Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; Iris H. Hall. In-vitro anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects of grepafloxacin in zymogen A- or Staphylococcus aureus-stimulated human THP-1 monocytes. Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy. 2003;9(2):134-143.
- Steven W. Leslie; Diane E. Beck; Timothy J. Ives; Kenneth A. Skau; Dennis F. Thompson; Clarence T. Ueda; Michael Z. Wincor. Final report of the 2002-2003 Bylaws and Policy Development Committee. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2003;67(SUPPL.):.
- Julie Bates Cooper; Tina Penick Brock; Timothy J. Ives. The spiritual aspect of patient care in the curricula of colleges of pharmacy. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2003;67(2):5P.
- Iris H Hall; Ute E Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; John D Butts; Eric T Wolford; Timothy J Ives. Disposition and intracellular activity of azithromycin in human THP-1 acute monocytes. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2002;20(5):348-360.
- Ellen M Chetwynd; Timothy J Ives; Patricia M Payne; Neva Edens-Bartholomew. Fluconazole for postpartum candidal mastitis and infant thrush. Journal of human lactation : official journal of International Lactation Consultant Association. 2002;18(2):168-171.
- Philip D. Sloane; Sheryl Zimmerman; Lori C. Brown; Timothy J. Ives; Joan F. Walsh. Inappropriate medication prescribing in residential care/assisted living facilities. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2002;50(6):1001-1011.
- Timothy J. Ives; John D. Butts; Russell L. Regnery. Use of immunofluorescent antibody analysis of infected vero cell monolayers to determine in vitro susceptibilities of Bartonella henselae, B. quintana, and B. elizabethae. Journal of Infectious Disease Pharmacotherapy. 2001;4(3):9-19.
- Timothy J. Ives; Ute E. Schwab; E. Stacy Ward; John D. Butts; Iris H. Hall. Disposition and functions of clarithromycin in human THP-1 monocytes during stimulated and unstimulated conditions. Research Communications in Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology. 2001;110(3-4):183-208.
- Timothy J Ives; Eric L Marston; Russell L Regnery; John D Butts. In vitro susceptibilities of Bartonella and Rickettsia spp. to fluoroquinolone antibiotics as determined by immunofluorescent antibody analysis of infected Vero cell monolayers. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2001;18(3):217-222.
- Adam O. Goldstein; Kathleen M. Smith; Timothy J. Ives; Beth Goldstein. Mycotic infections: Effective management of conditions involving the skin, hair and nails. Geriatrics. 2000;55(5):40-52.
- Timothy J. Ives; Eric L. Marston; Russell L. Regnery; John D. Butts; Thomas C. Majerus. In vitro susceptibilities of Rickettsia and Bartonella spp. to 14-hydroxy-clarithromycin as determined by immunofluorescent antibody analysis of infected Vero cell monolayers. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2000;45(3):305-310.
- K.L. Capoccia; A.O. Goldstein; T.J. Ives. Smoking cessation. “It’s the right time.” North Carolina medical journal. 2000;61(1):403-405.
- M.A. Dietrich; J.D. Butts; P. Alford; T.J. Ives; I.H. Hall. In vitro pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic aspects of THP-1 human monocyte uptake, distribution and efflux of 14C-grepafloxacin under different conditions. Drugs. 1999;58(SUPPL. 2):258-259.
- R.A. Sobel; A.O. Goldstein; T.J. Ives. Impact of smoking control rules on restaurants in Orange County, North Carolina. North Carolina medical journal. 1998;59(5):288-.
- Timothy J. Ives; Kimberly H. Deloatch; Khalid S. Ishaq. Integration of medicinal chemistry and pharmacotherapeutics courses: A case-based, learner-centered approach. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 1998;62(4):406-411.
- T.J. Ives; P.F. Dunn. Pharmacotherapy of diabetes mellitus. Lippincott’s primary care practice. 1997;1(5):537-549.
- Timothy J. Ives; Pablo Manzewitsch; Russell L. Regnery; John D. Butts; Mizanu Kebede. In vitro susceptibilities of Bartonella henselae, B. quintana, B. elizabethae, Rickettsia rickettsii, R. conorii, R. akari, and R. prowazekii to Macrolide antibiotics as determined by immunofluorescent-antibody analysis of infected vero cell monolayers. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 1997;41(3):578-582.
- T.J. Ives. A pharmacist’s guide to topical corticosteroids. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association. 1996;36(6):357-358.
- P.D. Sloane; T.J. Ives. Improving the well-being of nursing home residents. The Journal of the American Board of Family Practice / American Board of Family Practice 1995;8(3):249-250.
- E.D. Glover; M. Babb; R.C. Byrd; J.P. McKenna; A.O. Goldstein; T.J. Ives; D.H. Giedinghagen; G.L. Hoff. OTC nicotine gum. Journal of Family Practice. 1995;40(1):15-17.
- A.O. Goldstein; T.J. Ives. Pharmacoeconomic considerations in pharmaceutical company promotions. Archives of family medicine. 1994;3(12):1034-1035.
- T.J. Ives; A.F. Lockamy; J.H. McDermott; V.G. Brooks. Expanding pharmacy roles in programs on alcohol and other drug abuse. American Pharmacy. 1994;NS34(9):52-57.
- A.O. Goldstein; T.J. Ives. Depression treatment. Journal of Family Practice. 1994;39(2):114, 116.
- T.J. Ives; A.O. Goldstein. Tobacco and drug use. Journal of Family Practice. 1994;39(1):11-.
- R. Schuler Tepper; T.J. Ives; M. Kebede. Recurrent bacterial vaginosis unresponsive to metronidazole: Successful treatment with oral clindamycin. Journal of the American Board of Family Practice. 1994;7(5):431-432.
- W. Linn; B.L. Carter; B. Carlisle; A. Ellsworth; T. Ives; S. Maddux; P. Taber. Establishing and evaluating clinical pharmacy services in primary care. Pharmacotherapy. 1994;14(6 I):743-758.
- L.A. Rose; B.M. DeVellis; T.J. Ives. Prescription medicines: did you know…? North Carolina medical journal. 1992;53(11):589-592.
- T.J. Ives; E.J. Bentz; R.E. Gwyther. Dermatologic adverse drug reactions in a family medicine setting. Archives of family medicine. 1992;1(2):241-245.
- T.J. Ives. Benzoyl peroxide. American Pharmacy. 1992;32(8):33-38.
- L.E. Monroe; T.J. Ives. Letters to the editor. Treatment of alcohol withdrawal . Southern Medical Journal. 1991;84(7):935-936.
- T.J. Ives; R.S. Tepper. Failure of a tapering dose of oral methylprednisolone to treat reactions to poison ivy . Journal of the American Medical Association. 1991;266(10):1362-.
- T.J. Ives; A.J. Mooney III; R.E. Gwyther. Pharmacokinetic dosing of phenobarbital in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Southern Medical Journal. 1991;84(1):18-21.
- T.J. Ives; P.F. Dunn; D.E. Pathman. The nutritional content of pharmaceutical company sponsored promotions. Family Medicine. 1990;22(5):338-339.
- T.J. Ives; C.C. Stults. Pharmacy practice in a chemical-dependency treatment center. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1990;47(5):1080-1083.
- T.J. Ives; R.S. Tepper. Drug use in pregnancy and lactation. Primary Care – Clinics in Office Practice. 1990;17(3):623-645.
- H.E. Lownes; T.J. Ives. Mexiletine use in pregnancy and lactation. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1987;157(2):446-447.
- T.J. Ives; M.F. Guerra. Constant morphine infusion for severe sickle cell crisis pain. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy 1987;21(7-8):625-627.
- T.J. Ives; E.J. Bentz; R.E. Gwyther. Drug-related admissions to a family medicine inpatient service. Archives of Internal Medicine. 1987;147(6):1117-1120.
- T.J. Ives; J.J. Frey; S. Furr; E.J. Bentz. Effect of an educational intervention on oral cephalosporin use in primary care. Archives of Internal Medicine. 1987;147(1):44-47.
- J.H. Patterson; T.J. Ives; M.A. Greganti. Transient bilateral pupillary dilation from scopolamine discs. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy. 1986;20(12):986-987.
- T.J. Ives; M.F. Fleming; C.W. Weart; D. Bloch. Treatment of intractable hiccups with intramuscular haloperidol. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1985;142(11):1368-1369.
- T.J. Ives; J.L. Parry; R.E. Gwyther. Serum drug level utilization review in a family medicine residency program. Journal of Family Practice. 1984;19(4):507-511.
- M.F. Guerra; T.J. Ives. Bethanechol and hypothermia. Annals of Internal Medicine. 1983;99(2):279-280.
- T.J. Ives; C.C. Stults. Short-course diphenoxylate hydrochloride for Treatment of methadone withdrawal symptoms. British Journal of Psychiatry. 1983;143(5):513-514.
- P.S. Huff; T.J. Ives; S.N. Almond; N.W. Griffin. Pharmacist-managed diabetes education service. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1983;40(6):991-994.
- T.J. Ives. Use of dimenhydrinate in the treatment of green tobacco sickness. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy. 1983;17(7-8):548-549.
- T.J. Ives; R.B. Stewart. Doxepin-induced acute glossitis. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1980;37(11):1551-1552.
- T.J. Ives; M.P. Pevonka; B.D. Andresen; R.L. Yost. Effect of methyldopa on urine glucose test methods. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1980;37(5):683-687.
- T.J. Ives; C. Bertho-Gebara. Illicit use of diphenoxylate hydrochloride to prevent narcotic withdrawal symptoms. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy. 1980;14(10):715-716.
- Ives TJ and Conry JM. Pharmacists and Public Health. In: Remington: The Science and Practice of Pharmacy, 22nd Edition. 2012, Pharmaceutical Press, London.
- Kiser KL, Ives TJ. Psoriasis. In: Applied Therapeutics, Tenth Edition. 2011, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Gerrald KR, Ives TJ. Ultraviolet Radiation Exposure, Photoaging, and Minor Burns. In: Applied Therapeutics, Tenth Edition. 2011, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Canaday BR, Yarborough PC, Malone RM, and Ives TJ. Documentation of Pharmacist Interventions. In: Pharmacotherapy: A Patient-Focused Approach, Seventh Edition. 2007, McGraw-Hill.
Select Poster Presentations
- 2012 American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Hale JC, Ives TJ. March 10, 2012. Opportunities and barriers of Clinical Pharmacist Practitioners in North Carolina.
- 2011 Midyear Clinical Meeting, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, New Orleans, LA. Warshany K, Cavanaugh JJ, Ives TJ, Shilliday BB. December 5, 2011. Outcomes and patient acceptance of a Medicare annual wellness visit administered by a Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner in an internal medicine clinic.
- 2011 Midyear Clinical Meeting, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, New Orleans, LA. Faison A, Cavanaugh J, Shilliday BB, Ives, TJ. December 5, 2011. Simvastatin: identifying patients at risk for myopathy and applying the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeling changes to clinical practice.
- 2010 Spring Practice and Research Forum, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Charlotte, NC. Gerrald KR, Whitney A, Shilliday BB, Ives TJ, Malone RM. April 24, 2010. Implementation and reliability of a depression screening program in an outpatient internal medicine diabetes population.
- 2010 Spring Practice and Research Forum, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Charlotte, NC. Leone A, Blalock S, Ives TJ. April 24, 2010. Pharmacotherapeutic treatment of anxiety disorders: Investigating the correlation between GAD-7, PHQ-9, and brief pain inventory scores.
- 2007 Annual Meeting, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Orlando, FL, Lewis-Smith RE, Rake KM, Chelminski PR, Ives TJ. July 15, 2007. Affective disorders, opioid misuse, and fibromyalgia in a population of primary care patients.
- 34thAnnual Meeting, Society of General Internal Medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Bumgarner J, Stewart L, McDonald S, Andrew W, Ives, T, Chelminski P, Pignone M, Lewis C. Invited presenter, May 5, 2011. Viewing of chronic pain decision aids in a multidisciplinary pain program and patient reported outcomes.
- 2011 Annual Meeting, South Carolina Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Hilton Head, SC. Invited speaker, March 14, 2011. Topic: Update on Pain Management: A Baker’s Dozen of Pain Issues.
- 2010 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim, CA. Invited speaker and Moderator, December 6, 2010. Topic: Implementing Introductory and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences in Health-System Practice Settings.
- 2010 American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Austin, TX. Invited speaker, October 19, 2010. Topic: Substance Misuse: Who, When, and Why?
- Twenty-Fifth Annual Pharmacy Practice Seminar, Coastal AHEC, Wilmington, NC. Invited speaker, August 29, 2010. Topic: Prescription & OTC Drug Abuse: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You.
- Twenty-Third Annual Pharmacy Practice Seminar, Coastal AHEC, Wilmington, NC. Invited speaker, October 18, 2008. Topic: Managing the Pain I Always Have: Overview of Chronic Pain.
- Twenty-Third Annual Pharmacy Practice Seminar, Coastal AHEC, Wilmington, NC. Invited speaker, October 18, 2008. Topic: Managing the Pain in My Head: Treatment of Migraine.
- 31stAnnual Meeting, Society of General Internal Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA. Invited presenter, April 10, 2008. Prevalence of anxiety in patients with chronic non-malignant pain in a general internal medicine practice. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23 (S1): 377-8.
- Mountain AHEC, Asheville, NC. New Guidelines for Lower Back Pain. Invited speaker, April 3, 2008. Topic: Pharmacologic Therapy for Low Back Pain.
- Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Florida
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, University of Florida
- Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, and the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner