Mark Schoenfisch, Ph.D.
Peter A. Ornstein Distinguished Professor, UNC Department of Chemistry
Joint Professor, Division of Pharmacoengineering and Molecular Pharmaceutics
Department Of Chemistry, Caudill 318, CB# 3290, , NC, 27599
Our research is focused on three main areas: 1) designing macromolecular nitric oxide release vehicles as novel therapeutics; 2) improving the analytical performance of implantable continuous glucose monitoring devices for diabetes management; 3) designing nitric oxide sensors that allow real-time detection in vivo and in biological media. In the Schoenfisch Lab, we work at the interface of chemistry, pharmaceutical science, biomedical engineering, and biology. The types of multi-disciplinary research opportunities that are available include the development of novel therapeutics to treat lung infections and skin cancers; sensors that function reliably and continuously, real time, to facilitate disease management; microelectrode and microfluidic sensor design and fabrication for clinical, point-of-care, and diagnostic/prognostic applications; and, new macromolecular scaffolds that manipulate biology and physiology.
- Yang, F. Teles, W. Gong, S.A. Dua, L. Martin, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Antibacterial Action of Nitric Oxide-Releasing Hyperbranched Polymers Against Ex Vivo Dental Biofilms,” Dental Mater. 2020, in press.
- R. Rouillard, D.B. Hill, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Antibiofilm and Mucolytic Action of Nitric Oxide Delivered as a Gas or Via Macromolecular Donor Using in Vitro and Ex Vivo Models,” J. Cystic Fibr. 2020, in press.
- R. Hall, K.R. Rouillard, D.J. Suchyta, M.D. Brown, M.J.R. Ahonen, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Mode of Nitric Oxide Delivery Affects Antibacterial Action,” ACS Biomat. Sci. & Eng. 2020, 6, 433-441.
- R. Hall, S.E. Maloney, H. Jin, J.B. Taylor, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Nitric Oxide Diffusion Through Cystic Fibrosis-Relevant Media and Lung Tissue,” RSC Advances 2019, 68, 40176-40183.
- J. Malone-Povolny, E.P. Merricks, L.E. Wimsey, T.C. Nichols, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Long-term Accurate Continuous Glucose Biosensors via Extended Nitric-Oxide Release,” ACS Sensors 2019, 4, 3257-3264.
- D. Brown and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Electrochemical Nitric Oxide Sensors: Principles of Design and Characterization,” Chem. Rev. 2019, 119, 11551-11575.
- Yang, L. Jing, Y. Jiao, L. Wang, J.T. Marchesan, S.N. Offenbacher, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “In Vivo Antibacterial Efficacy of Nitric Oxide-Releasing Hyperbranched Polymers against Porphyromonas gingivalis,” Mol. Pharmaceutics 2019, 16, 9, 4017-4023.
- J.R. Ahonen, D.B. Hill, and M.H. Schoenfisch “Nitric Oxide-Releasing Alginates as Mucolytic Agents,” ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng. 2019, 5, 3409-3418.
- D. Brown and M.H. Schoenfisch, “A Selective and Sensocompatible Electrochemical Nitric Oxide Sensor with a Bilaminar Design,” ACS Sensors 2019, 4, 1766-1773.
- J.R. Ahonen, J.M. Dorrier, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Antibiofilm Efficacy of Nitric Oxide-Releasing Alginates against Cystic Fibrosis Bacterial Pathogens,” ACS Infect. Dis. 2019, 5, 1327-1335.
- J. Malone-Povolny, S.E. Maloney, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Nitric Oxide Therapy for Diabetic Wound Healing,” Adv. Healthcare Mater. 2019, 1801210, 1-18.
- J. Malone-Povolny and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Extended Nitric Oxide-Releasing Polyurethanes via S-Nitrosothiol-Modified Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles,” ACS Appl. Mater. & Interfaces 2019, 11, 12216-12223.
- Paula, C.A. Beltrame, D.A. Suchyta, I.A. Alraheam, A. Mohammed, M.H. Schoenfisch, R. Walter, I. Almeida, L.C. Souza, and P. A. Miguez, “Effect of Phosphorylated Chitosan on Dentin Erosion: An In Vitro Study,” Caries Res. 2018, 52, 378-386.
- Zhang, K.P.R. Crizer, M.H. Schoenfisch, D.B. Hill, and G. Didier, “Fluid Heterogeneity Detection Based on the Asymptotic Distribution of the Time-Averaged Mean Squared Displacement in Single Particle Tracking Experiments,” J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 2018, 51, 1-41. PMC6486181.
- D. Brown, J.R. Hall, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “A Direct and Selective Electrochemical Hydrogen Sulfide Sensor,” Anal. Chim. Acta 2019, 1045, 67-76. PMC6641862.
- Jin, L. Yang, M.J.R. Ahonen, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Nitric Oxide-Releasing Cyclodextrins,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 14178-14184.
- Yang and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Nitric Oxide-Releasing Hyperbranched Polyaminoglycosides for Antibacterial Therapy,” ACS Applied Bio Mater. 2018, 1, 1066-1073.
- Yang, M.J.R. Ahonen, E.S. Feura, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Nitric Oxide-Releasing Macromolecular Scaffolds for Antibacterial Applications,” Adv. Healthcare Mat. 2018, 1800155, 1-17. PMC6159924.
- Marchesan, M.S. Girnary, L. Jing, M.Z. Miao, S. Zhang, L. Sun, T. Morelli, N. Inohara, M.H. Schoenfisch, S. Offenbacher, and Y. Jiao, “An Experimental Murine Model to Study Periodontitis,” Nature Methods 2018, 13, 2247-2267.
- Dunn, L. Kartchner, K. Gast, M. Sessions, R. Hunter, L. Thurlow, A. Richardson, M. Schoenfisch, B. Cairns, and R. Maile, “Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Regulates a Hyperresponsive State in Pulmonary Neutrophils Late after Burn Injury,” J. Leukoc Biol. 2018, 103, 909-918. PMC6181446.
- Yang, X. Wang, D.J. Suchyta, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Antibacterial Activity of Nitric Oxide-Releasing Hyperbranched Polyamidoamines,” Bioconjugate Chem. 2018, 29, 35-43.
- R. Hall and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Direct Electrochemical Sensing of Hydrogen Sulfide without Sulfur Poisoning,” Anal. Chem. 2018, 90, 5194-5200.
- D. Brown and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Catalytic Selectivity of Metallophthalocyanines for Electrochemical Nitric Oxide Sensing,” Electrochimica Acta 2018, 273, 98-104. PMC6366661.
- J.R. Ahonen, D.J. Suchyta, H. Zhu, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Nitric Oxide-Releasing Alginates,” Biomacromolecules 2018, 19, 1189-1197.
- J. Soto, E.P. Merricks, D.A. Bellinger, T.C. Nichols, and M.H. Schoenfisch, “Influence of Diabetes on the Foreign Body Response to Nitric Oxide-Releasing Implants,” Biomaterials 2018, 157, 76-85. PMC6121707.
- “Nitric Oxide-Releasing Dendrimers for the Treatment of Periodontal Disease,” National Institutes of Health (NIDCR R01DE025207), 07/02/2015-04/30/2021 (NCE), $1,578,751. Role: PI.
- “Role of Diabetes and Nitric Oxide Release Duration on Analytical Performance of In Vivo Glucose Biosensors,” National Institutes of Health (NIDDK R01DK108318), 12/01/2015-11/30/2020 (NCE), $1,905,732. Role: PI.
- “Synthesis and Characterization of Next Generation Nitric Oxide-Releasing Polymers,” KnowBIO, 01/01/2018-12/31/22, $1,061,831. Role: PI.
- “Dual Antimicrobial/Mucolytic Therapeutics for Cystic Fibrosis, “Cystic Fibrosis Foundation,” 11/01/2018-10/31/2020, $269,156. Role: PI.
- Role of diabetes and nitric oxide release duration on analytical performance of in vivo glucose biosensors
- Nitric oxide-releasing dendrimers for the treatment of periodontal disease
- Improving the Host Response to Implantable Glucose Sensors via Nitric Oxide Release
|2018||UNC Inventor of the Year (Office of Commercialization & Economic Development)|
|2015||Chapman Family Teaching Award for Distinguished Teaching of Undergraduates|
|Institute for the Arts and Humanities Faculty Fellowship|
|2007||John L. Sanders Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching and Service|
|2005||International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry Young Observer Award|
|2004||National Science Foundation CAREER Award|
|2002||Eli Lilly and Company Young Investigator Award|
|2001||Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh Young Investigator Award|
|1998||National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship|
- 1992 -1997: Ph.D. in Chemistry at University of Arizona
- 1988-1992: B.A. in Chemistry and Germanic Languages & Literature at University of Kansas