Professor of the Practice
Vice Chair, Practice Advancement, PACE Division
Associate Faculty Director, UNC Center for the Business of Health (CBOH)
325 Beard Hall, 301 Pharmacy Lane, , Chapel Hill, NC, 27599
Jon Easter is a Professor of the Practice in the Division of Practice Advancement and Clinical Education. Easter directs the U.S. Healthcare and the Health Policy and Managed Care courses in the Pharm.D. curriculum. He serves as the Associate Faculty Director at CBOH that aims to create research and educational partnerships between business and pharmacy. Easter has led several pharmacy practice evaluations with a goal of driving positive change in healthcare transformation and policy development. His expertise is in health policy, transformation, and care coordination.
Previously, Jon spent 20 years at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), where he primarily worked in health policy. His team focused on care coordination, quality measurement and medication management policy development through the creation of healthcare improvement demonstration projects. Initiatives included launching a patient-centered medical home program and building a predictive analytics tool that identified patients at risk for medication therapy problems.
Jon has a B.S. in Pharmacy from the University of Georgia and is a registered pharmacist. In addition to improving healthcare and the practice of pharmacy, his true passions are spending time with his wife Anne and their two boys, Charlie and Ben, as well as cheering on his Bulldogs.
- Tripicchio, K, Urick, B, Easter, J, & Ozawa, S. (January 2020). Making the economic value proposition for pharmacist comprehensive medication management (CMM) in primary care: A conceptual framework. Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy (RSAP). In press: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2020.01.001
- Livet, M, & Easter, J. (February 2019). Optimizing medication use through a Synergistic Technology Testing Process: Applying implementation science to drive effectiveness and facilitate scale. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. In Press: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2018.12.013.
- Easter J, Jani, Y, Kirkpatrick, C, Steeb D, Eckel S (April 2019). Unifying a profession and a health care system: Building the case for a “one pharmacy” global community. Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy: RSAP. In press: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2019.04.048
- Thorpe, K, & Easter J. (February 2018). The Multi-Billion Dollar Drug-Sensitive Spending Opportunity. North Carolina Medical Journal. In press: https://doi.org/10.18043/ncm.79.1.46
- Dewalt, D, & Easter J. (May 2017). Medication Optimization Value Proposition. North Carolina Medical Journal. In press: https://doi.org/10.18043/ncm.78.3.168
- Farley, J, Ferreri, S, Easter, J, & McClurg, M. (May 2017). The North Carolina Experiment: Active Research in the Development and Assessment of New Practice Models. North Carolina Medical Journal. In press: https://doi.org/10.18043/ncm.78.3.186
- Urick, B, Brown, P, & Easter, J. (May 2017). Achieving Better Quality and Lower Costs in Medicaid. North Carolina Medical Journal. In press: https://doi.org/10.18043/ncm.78.3.188
- Gonzalez, D, Kashuba, A, Easter, J, et al. (August 2017). Precision Dosing: Public Health Need, Proposed Framework, and Anticipated Impact. Clinical and Translational Science. In press: https://doi.org/10.1111/cts.12490
- Patient Engagement and Wellness: A Critical Piece of the Puzzle as Health Care Moves to Value-Based Models; Pharmacy Times (October 2015)
- Avoiding the First Event: The Importance of Adherence in the “Near Sick”; Pharmacy Times (August 2014)
- Medication Management: Integrating the Pharmacist as the Champion; Pharmacy Times (August 2013)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Annual Meeting; Utilizing Telepharmacy to Address Social Determinants of Health (SDoH); October 2022
- Rural Community Pharmacy Network CE Program; Payers have needs, community pharmacy has solutions: the path toward reimbursement for services; October 2022
- Innovations and Transformations in Pharmaceutical Sciences (ITPS) Summer Program; Enhancing Diabetes Care in Rural Areas through Telehealth Clinical Pharmacy Services; July 2022
- Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA) Annual Meeting; Top-Down and Bottom-Up: Integrating Holistic Perspectives to Deliver Patient Care Interventions in Community Pharmacy; May 2022
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Spring Clinical Forum; Key Elements of a Metric-based Business Case for CMM Implementation; April 2021
- Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA) Annual Meeting; Aligning Provider and Payer incentives through a primary care telepharmacy program; May 2021
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Leadership Meeting; CMM Project Results: Telepharmacy and Specialty Clinics; July 2021
- Telepharmacy Advisory Committee (TAC) Meeting;
- Get The Meds Right Institute (GTMRx) Payment and Policy Solutions Workgroup; Implementing a CMM Telepharmacy Service into Primary Care Clinics within Rural and Underserved Areas; November 2021
- PharmAlliance Week; Hot Topics in Pharmacy Practice; Facilitated the New Payment Models Breakout Session; November 2021
- Eli Lilly Employer Roundtable with Keenan Flagler Business School at UNC; February 2020
- West Pharmaceutical Specialty Pharmacy Leadership Team; Value-based payment and delivery healthcare trends; March 2020
- PharmAlliance International Leadership Series: Intercultural Communication on Teams; October 2020
- National Association of Chain Drug Stores, Regional Chain Conference, Palm Beach, Florida, February 2019. Easter, J. From Volume to Value: Implementing Change in Our Healthcare System. Keynote Presentation.
- UNC Kenan Flagler Business School, UNC Business of Healthcare Convocation, Chapel Hill, NC, February 2019. Easter, J. Predictive Analytics + Clinical Pharmacy Services = Value-based Care. Invited Presentation.
- World Healthcare Congress, Medication Adherence Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 2019. Easter, J. Integrating Medication Optimization into Value-based Care Delivery and Payment Models. Invited Presentation.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), Leadership Team, Washington D.C, May 2019. Easter, J. Integrating CMM into Value-based Healthcare. Invited Presentation.
- UNC Healthcare Department of Pharmacy SPACE Strategic Planning Meeting, Morrisville, NC, May 2019. Easter, J. Moving from Volume to Value-based Care: The Role of Clinical Pharmacy Services. Invited Presentation.
- UNC Pharmacy AGILE Leadership Course, Chapel Hill, NC, August 2019. Easter, J. Moving from Volume to Value-based Care: Key Drivers for Opportunities for Pharmacy. Invited Presentation.
- Hematology and Oncology Pharmacy Association (HOPA) Annual Practice Management Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, September 2019. Easter, J. From Volume to Value: Implementing Change in our Healthcare System. Invited Presentation.
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy 2019 Annual Meeting, New York City, New York. October 2019. Easter, J. Building the Business Model by Meeting the Metrics: CMM in Value-based Payment and Delivery. Invited Presentation.
Health Policy Senior Director, Payment & Delivery Reform, US Public Policy – RTP, NC (11/06-1/16)
Best Practices LLC
Director of Healthcare Sector Research – Chapel Hill, NC (4/05-11/06)
Senior Manager, Clinical Guideline Operations – RTP, NC (5/02-4/05)
Senior Product Manager – Durham, NC (6/00-4/02)
Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical (a Johnson & Johnson Company)
District Sales Manager – Raleigh, NC (1/98-6/00)
HealthMatics G.P. (a Glaxo Wellcome General Partnership)
Product Manager, Academic and Professional Affairs – Durham, NC (5/96-1/98)
Glaxo Wellcome Inc.
Professional Affairs Manager, State Government Affairs – Seattle, WA (8/94-5/96)
Professional Sales Representative, Allen & Hanburys – Atlanta and Macon, GA (10/88 – 8/94)
- B.S. in Pharmacy
- Licensed pharmacist
Easter’s School News