David Steeb, Pharm.D., M.P.H.
Director of Global Engagement
David Steeb, Pharm.D., MPH, is a clinical assistant professor and director of global engagement at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy and an adjunct senior lecturer at Monash University Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Melbourne, Australia. He received his Bachelor of Science in chemistry and biology from the University of Miami and his Doctor of Pharmacy from the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. In 2013, Steeb developed and became the first Global Engagement Fellow at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. He received his Master of Public Health at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
As a faculty member, Steeb conducts research on global health education and training and collaborates with faculty at other UNC health affairs schools in developing curricula at the intersection of pharmacy and global health. As director of global engagement, Steeb engages students and faculty in a variety of global activities and initiatives such as the Global Pharmacy Scholars program which has sent nearly 200 students to Australia, England, Ethiopia, Honduras, India, Japan, Malawi, Moldova, or Zambia for an international rotation experience. Steeb also works with faculty in developing international collaborations such as PharmAlliance, a unique three way partnership between Monash University Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Melbourne, Australia; University College London School of Pharmacy in London, England; and the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Steeb is a former American Pharmacists Association (APhA) board of trustees member and currently serves as the founder and coordinator of the APhA Public Health SIG. Steeb is also an active member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) and the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP). Steeb is a recipient of the AACP New Investigator Award and the APhA Distinguished New Practitioner Award.
*Corresponding Author ^Fellow/Student Trainee
- Zeeman JM*, Kiser SN, Steeb DR, Hubal R. Identifying priority student leadership and professionalism attributes among faculty, preceptors, and students via modified delphi. Am J Pharm Educ. In press.
- Sasser CW^, Miller ML, Schellhase EM, Dascanio SA^, Steeb DR*. Creating global health leaders in pharmacy by evolving postgraduate training. Res Social Adm Pharm. In press.
- Steeb DR*, Bruno-Tome A, Pyzik O, Dascanio SA^, Bates I. Global Leaders in Development (GLIDE): a global leadership module across three international pharmacy schools. Int J Pharm Pract. In press.
- Crowe SJ, Karwa R, Schellhase EM, Miller ML, Abrons JP, Alsharif NZ, Andrade C, Cope RJ, Dornblaser EK, Hachey D, Holm MR, Jonkman L, Lukas, Malhotra J, Njuguna, Pekny C, Prescott GM, Ryan M, Steeb DR, Tran DN. American college of clinical pharmacy global health practice and research network’s opinion paper: Pillars for global health engagement and key engagement strategies for pharmacists. J Am Coll Clin Pharm. In press.
- Steeb DR*, Miller ML, Schellhase EM, Malhotra JV, McLaughlin JE, Dascanio SA^, Haines ST. Global health learning outcomes by country location and duration for international experiences. Am J Pharm Educ. 2020;84(5):7682.
- Eneh P*, Steeb DR, Cope R, Gim S, Northrop E, Brearley A, Okoro O. Students’ perceptions of global health competencies in the doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) curriculum. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020;12(5):531-538.
- Steeb DR*, Miller ML, Schellhase EM, Malhotra JV, McLaughlin JE, Dascanio SA^, Haines ST. Global health learning outcomes in pharmacy students completing international advanced pharmacy practice experiences. Am J Pharm Educ. 2020;84(3):7586.
- Ulrich IP*, Hitch WJ, Steeb DR, Seamon G, Farrar M, Gilmer B, Santin A. Reflections and interdisciplinary perceptions of pharmacy learners on an international medical brigade. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2019 Dec;11(12):1316-1322.
- Steeb DR*, Dascanio SA^, Kiser SN. Connecting rural and global health education for workforce development. Am J Trop Med. 101(3), 2019, pp. 479–481.
- Easter J, Jani Y, Kirkpatrick C, Steeb DR, Eckel SF*. Unifying a profession and a health care system: Building the case for a “one pharmacy” global community. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2019 April 25.
- Steeb DR*, Urick BY, Sleath BL, Joyner PU. Institutional factors associated with global health education across US pharmacy schools. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2019 Aug;11(8):767-773.
- Steeb DR*, Ramaswamy R. Recognizing and engaging pharmacists in global public health in limited resource settings. J Glob Health. 2019 Jun;9(1):010318.
- Chargulaf MJ*, Giao TT, Abrahamson AC, Steeb DR, Law MG, Bates, J, Nedi T, Muluneh B. Layered learning pharmacy practice model in Ethiopia. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2019 Jan 7.
- Law MG*^, Maposa P, Chambula E, Steeb DR, Eckel S, Duncan, G. Knowledge, attitudes and practice of final year student pharmacists in public health in Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe: an exploratory survey. Int J Pharm Pract. 2018 May 6.
- Law MG*^, Maposa P, Duncan G, Steeb DR. Addressing the global need for public health clinical pharmacists through student pharmacist education: a focus on developing nations. Int J Clin Pharm. 2017 Dec;39(6):1141-1144
- Steeb DR*, Overman RA, Sleath BL, Joyner PU. Global experiential and didactic education opportunities at US colleges and schools of pharmacy. Am J Pharm Educ. Feb 25;80(1):7.
- Steeb DR*, Eckel SF, Marciniak MW. USA North Carolina: States differ in the recognition of specialty and advanced pharmacy practice. Advanced Practice and Specialisation in Pharmacy: Global Report. International Pharmaceutical Federation. 2015.
- Moore SJ*, Blair EA, Steeb DR, Reed BN, Hull JH, Rodgers, JE. Impact of video technology on efficiency of pharmacist-provided anticoagulation counseling and patient comprehension: a prospective randomized parallel group trial. Ann Pharmacother. Jun;49(6):631-8.
- Steeb DR*, Joyner PU, Thakker DR. Exploring the role of the pharmacist in global health. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2014; 54(5):552-5.
- Hogue MD, Fassett WE, Steeb DR. Report of the academy presidents: leading the profession’s transformation. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2013 Mar-Apr;53(2):120-32.
- Steeb DR*, Webster L. Improving care transitions: optimizing medication J Am Pharm Assoc. 2012 Jul-Aug;52(4)
- Succession planning. Why is it important? Ways to ensure a stable handover of local or international YPG roles. International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) World Congress. Audience: 40. Abu Dhabi, UAE. September 2019.
- Empowering students and the profession through global citizenship. Workshop on global citizenship presented to attendees. Audience: 30. 10th Biennial Monash Pharmacy Education Symposium 2019. Prato, Italy. July 2019.
- The role of pharmacy in global health. Plenary lecture presented to attendees. Audience: 100. Monash Malaysia 10th Anniversary Celebration of Pharmacy Education Excellence. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. May 2019.
- Implementation research in health and pharmacy. Presentation to Masters of Research pharmacy students on implementation research across pharmacy settings. Audience: 15. University of Zambia. Lusaka, Zambia. February 2019.
- Leading change: Strategies for success. Presentation on how to lead change and define metrics of success presented to Monash pharmacy students. Audience: 35. Monash University Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Parkville, Australia. February 2019.
- Professional development tools to advance your pharmacy career. Presentation on professional engagement and networking to advance career development. Audience: 110. International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) World Congress. Glasgow, Scotland. September 2018.
- Strengthening global health experiences through interprofessional collaboration. Presentation on the use of entrustable professional activities and learning outcomes for global health. Audience: 210. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Virtual. July 2020.
- Developing students to become global leaders. Presentation on the PharmAlliance global leaders in development (GLIDE) module. Audience: 60. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Virtual. July 2020.
- PharmAlliance: Reflections on a global partnership. Presentation on the challenges and success across the PharmAlliance partnership. Audience: 50. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Interim Meeting. San Juan, Puerto Rico. February 2020
- Enhancing professional identity formation through international experiences. Presentation on how identify formation can be enhanced through global opportunities. Audience: 40. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Interim Meeting. San Juan, Puerto Rico. February 2020.
- Global to local: Connecting global health to local practice. Presentation on how to develop global health education opportunities in local environments. Audience: 80. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. July 2019.
- Connecting the elements to amplify global change. Presentation on how to develop faculty and students into global citizens and leaders. Audience: 60. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. July 2019.
- International residency training innovations: A global perspective. Moderated a session discussing international residency training across Australia, Canada, and Saudi Arabia. Audience: 40. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Seattle, WA. October 2018.
- Integrating global health into the PharmD curriculum. Special session discussing ways to integrate global health across didactic and experiential settings. Audience: 100. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. July 2018.
- Emphasizing the ‘LAB’ in collaboration – demonstrating how to work together scientifically across cultures. Special session discussing how to collaborate internationally. Audience: 45. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. July 2018
- Global and rural health – improving community outcomes through interprofessional teams (GRIT). PharmTalk session discussing the connectivity between global and rural health. Audience: 50. American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting & Exposition. Nashville, TN. March 2018.
- Begin your legacy: Going global. TedTalk style presentation to student pharmacists about global engagement. Audience: 400. American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists Midyear Regional Meeting. Charleston, SC. November 2017.
- The promise and pitfalls of technology in addressing non-communicable diseases in developing countries. Global Health PRN session on the utilization of mHealth in global health. Audience: 40. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ. October 2017.
- A ‘rosetta stone’ for pharmacy education—a global language and shared vision for collaboration. Special Session on how to establish develop a common vision among international partners. Audience: 140. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Nashville, TN. July 2017
Development and Assessment of Entrustable Professional Activities for Global Health
- Bachelor of Science in chemistry and biology, University of Miami
- Doctor of Pharmacy, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- Global Engagement Fellowship, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- Public Health Leadership Certificate, UNC Gilling School of Global Public Health
- Master of Public Health, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Registered Pharmacist