Featured News MS in Health-System Pharmacy News Sidebar Featured News,
Brittany Jennings
February 19, 2021

Autumn Petersen, Pharm.D., MPH, BCPS.

The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists recently awarded UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy master’s student Autumn Petersen, Pharm.D., MPH, BCPS, with a Pharmacy Resident Practice-Based Research Grant.

Grant funding will aid Petersen’s project titled, “Development of a System-Wide Operational Weighted Workload Model,” which is a system-wide, prospective research project focused on operational weighted work of pharmacists in health care settings.

Petersen said there are 25 operational areas and teams within the health care system who participated in subjective and objective workload weighting, and the implementation of time studies, to create a novel weighted workload model. The goal of her research is to create a system-wide model that is applicable across integrated, diverse, health care systems, much like that of UNC Health’s.

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to receive this grant. I am thankful for all of the time and dedication that my team put into making a successful project,” Petersen said.

Petersen said this project is her first significant step into the research field.

“I think this grant is providing me with resources necessary to contribute positively to pharmacy literature and the advancement of the profession as a whole. I hope to continue to participate in impactful research throughout my pharmacy career,” she said.

As for the future, Petersen said she aspires to work in the pharmacy operations space within a hospital or health system. She added, “I would like to continue to work collaboratively with a diverse team to advance the profession through innovative practices.”

Additional collaborators on this grant include: 

Senior investigator/Grant mentor: Jackie Zeeman, Pharm.D. | Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Director, Office of Organizational Effectiveness Planning, and Assessment, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy

Collaborator: Mary-Haston Vest, Pharm.D., MS | Clinical Manager, Analytics and Outcomes, UNC Health Department of Pharmacy; Assistant Professor of Clinical Education, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy

Collaborator: Evan Colmenares, Pharm.D. | Lead Pharmacist, Analytics & Outcomes, UNC Health Department of Pharmacy; Ph.D. Candidate, Division of Pharmaceutical Outcomes & Policy, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy

Latest News