Beard Hall, which has housed the School of Pharmacy since the building opened in 1959, recently underwent a $6 million renovation. The renovation has improved the basement, the first floor, and many of the labs on the second and third floors. The project also made numerous additions to Beard Hall, including
- eleven conference and seminar rooms;
- a faculty conference center;
- a sixty-five seat classroom;
- a large compounding laboratory;
- a student lounge;
- two new computer labs;
- an administrative suite and office for the dean;
- forty-five faculty and staff offices;
- four research laboratories with cold rooms, autoclaves, and fume hoods;
- new HVAC, fire alarm, and sprinkler systems; and
- new computer-network wiring.
The building is named for John Grover Beard, the second dean of the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy.