UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Mission Statement
The mission of the University is to serve all the people of the state, and ultimately the nation, as a center for scholarship and creative endeavor. The University exists to expand the body of knowledge; to teach students at all levels in an environment of research, free inquiry, and personal responsibility; to improve the condition of human life through service and publication; and to enrich our culture.
To complement this mission, the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy has embarked upon an ambitious vision — that of a Bimodal School of Pharmacy — with the explicit goal of becoming the nation’s leading program in pharmacy education. The goal of a bimodal school is to achieve excellence in both sponsored research and the creation of progressive pharmaceutical care practices.
To fulfill this mission the School:
- prepares its students for entry into the practice of pharmacy in North Carolina as informed, caring, ethical, and enlightened citizens and professionals;
- advances the knowledge, expertise, and competence of pharmacists through postgraduate education;
- discovers, analyzes, applies, and communicates knowledge about pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical care through basic and applied research
- extends existing and newly acquired knowledge, knowledge-based services, and other resources of the School to meet local, state, national, and international needs.
The doctor of pharmacy program of the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education. The School holds membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy was established as a department of the University in 1897 and first located on the ground floor of New West. Since that time, the School has moved several different times from New West to Person Hall in 1912 to Howell Hall in 1925 and finally to the current location in Beard Hall, which was completed in 1960. Attached to Beard Hall is Kerr Hall, which was completed in 2002 and contains two state-of-the-art auditorium classrooms with video-teleconferencing capabilities to support our satellite campuses in Elizabeth City and Asheville.