Dear Incoming Student:
Welcome to the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. We hope that your experience at the School is positive. We expect the best from our students and we want you to expect the best from us.
The profession of pharmacy plays a vital role in serving the health needs of the people of the United States. Pharmacists are the most accessible members of the health care team for the public and are authorities on drugs and drug usage. With authority comes responsibility, and the goal of our School is to help you become a responsible pharmacist.
This handbook is intended as a welcome to the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy for new students and as a source of information for the student body about major policies and procedures within the School. It informs you of our philosophy and defines the rules that guide our actions. We ask for your cooperation by becoming familiar with the contents of the handbook.
Faculty and students form a partnership. They work together in a structured program to produce a finished product that each partner wants: a competent, responsible, and caring pharmacist or pharmaceutical scientist. The PharmD Student Handbook contains guidelines for making this partnership optimally beneficial to you. We hope that you will use this book and benefit from it.
Please take a moment to read the School’s vision and mission before continuing to the handbook.
To be the preeminent school of pharmacy where leaders in practice, education, and research are developed and nurtured.
To advance health care through innovation and collaboration in pharmacy practice, education, research, and public service.
- Provide innovative and contemporary educational experiences
- Provide the highest quality educational experiences
- Develop and evaluate progressive practice models
- Create and maintain competitive research programs
- Apply new knowledge that contributes to the economic development of North Carolina
- Recruit, mentor and retain exceptional faculty, staff, and preceptors
- Recruit and mentor exceptional students and trainees who will address the health-care needs of North Carolina.
- Deliver and promote postgraduate education and training for career and leadership development
- Establish and sustain partnerships, collaborations, and strategic alliances
- Embrace and support the network of alumni and professional colleagues across North Carolina
- Provide outreach and service to the citizens of North Carolina and beyond
- Maintain a culture that values diversity
- Foster an environment of creative thought and academic freedom
Please be sure to print and sign the signature page in this handbook. The signature page should be turned into the Office of Student Services, 109 Beard Hall within one week of the first day of Orientation.
Thank you and welcome!
Office of Student Services
Disclaimer: The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy designs this Student Handbook to be as current as possible; however, the policies and other information contained in this handbook is subject to change at any time. The official Student Handbook is maintained in the Office of Professional Education. In the event of any discrepancy between the online policies and the official Student Handbook, then the language in the official version shall control.