Lindsey Amerine, Pharm.D., M.S., B.C.P.S. is the assistant director of pharmacy for Adult Acute Care and Ambulatory Care Clinical Services, Oncology Service Line, Infusion Services, and Investigational Drug Services at the University of North Carolina Medical Center. She is an associate professor of clinical education for the Division of Practice Advancement and Clinical Education at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. Amerine earned her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy and her Master of Science degree with an emphasis in Health-System Pharmacy Administration from the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy while completing her two-year Health System Pharmacy Administration Residency at UNC Hospitals. She is a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist.
Amerine maintains active professional involvement in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association, and the North Carolina Association of Pharmacists.
Amerine has served on the NCAP Government Affairs Committee and ASHP’s Council on Pharmacy Practice where she has advocated for legislative changes related to drug shortages and pharmacist provider status. She has received three ASHP Best Practice Awards, an ASHP Literature Award, and two Baxter Leadership Excellence Awards for innovative health-system practices.
Practice Site: University of North Carolina Medical Center
- Pharmacy practice advancements
- Hazardous drug handling
- Developing and sustaining innovative practices
- Incorporation of learners in clinical practice
- Lamm M, Eckel SF, Daniels R, *Amerine LB. Using lean principles to improve outpatient adult infusion clinic chemotherapy preparation turnaround times. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2015; 72:1138-46.
- *Pinelli N, McLaughlin J, Chen SL, Luter DN, Arnall J, Smith S, Roth MT, Rodgers P, Williams D, *Amerine LB. Improved organizational outcomes associated with incorporation of early clinical experiences for second year student pharmacists at an academic medical center. J Pharm Pract 2015; epub ahead of print.
- Cruz J, Moss M, Chen SL, Hansen K, Amerine LB. Retrospective evaluation of the clinical use of prothrombin complex concentrate for the reversal of anticoagulation with vitamin K antagonists. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2015; epub ahead of print.
- Amerine (Poppe) LB, Granko RP, Savage SW, Daniels R, *Eckel SF. Experience of health-system pharmacy administration residents in a longitudinal human resource management program. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2014; 71:2143-8.
- Poppe LB, Savage SW, *Eckel SF. Assessment of final product dosing accuracy when using volumetric technique in the preparation of chemotherapy. J Oncol Pharm Practice 2014; epub ahead of print.
- Moore SJ, Jenkins AT, Poppe LB, Rowe EC, *Eckel SF. Significant publications about the medication use process in 2012. J Pharm Pract 2014; epub ahead of print.
- *Granko RP, Poppe LB, Savage SW, Daniels R, Smith EA, Leese P. Method to determine allocation of clinical pharmacist resources. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2012; 69(16):1398-1404.
- *Poppe LB, Eckel SF, Savage SS. Implementation of continuous infusion of blood coagulation factors at an academic medical center. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2012; 69:522-6.
- *Granko RP, Poppe LB, Daniels R. Managing peak performers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2012; 69(4):282-4.
- *Poppe LB, Granko RP. Managing Underperformers. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2011; 68:2123-5.
- *Granko RP, O’Neal B, Fanikos J, Cohen BA, Cromes NV, Hicks DW, Thompson B, Poppe LB. The nonpharmacist business manager: key qualifications and skills for success. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2011; 68:1779-82.
- Poppe LB, *Roederer MW. Author’s Reply to Comment: global formulary review: how do we integrate pharmacogenomic information? Ann Pharmacother 2011; 45:1030-1.
- Poppe LB, *Roederer MW. Global formulary review: how do we integrate pharmacogenomic information? Ann Pharmacother 2011; 45(4):532-8.
- *Poppe LB, Eckel SF. Evaluating an approach to improving the adoption rate of wireless drug library updates for smart pumps. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2011 Jan; 68:170-5.
Select Poster Presentations
- *White T, *Chen SL, Amerine L. Retrospective evaluation of the use of recombinant factor VIIa before and after the implementation of a pharmacist-led factor stewardship program. Poster presented at the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Toronto, Canada.
- *White T, Khan T, Burgess H, Amerine L, Muluneh B. Improvement in access to oral chemotherapeutic agents through the use of medication assistance pharmacy specialists. Poster presented at the ACCP Annual Meeting 2014, Austin, Texas.
- Poppe LB, Savage SW, *Eckel SF. Experience with drug vial optimization at an academic medical center. Poster presented at the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) Annual Meeting 2014, Bangkok, Thailand.
- *McLaughlin J, Poppe LB, Chen SL, Luter DN, Arnall J, Smith S, Roth M, Rodgers P, Williams D, *Pinelli N. Improved organizational and student outcomes in an early immersion program at an academic medical center. Poster presented at the AACP Annual Meeting 2014, Grapevine, Texas.
- *Morgan KP, Muluneh B, Deal A, Burgess HC, Schneider M, Poppe LB. Evaluation of an institutional specialty pharmacy’s impact on adherence to oral chemotherapy. Poster presented at the HOPA (Trainee Section) Annual Meeting 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- *Moody C, Redding R, Eckel S, Poppe L. Determining the sensitivity of a media-fill challenge test as a reliable method for USP <797> recommended aseptic technique competency assessment. Poster presented (Resident/Student Section) at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting 2013, Orlando, Florida.
- *Arnall JR, *Moore JD, Savage SW, Valgus JM, Poppe LB. Implementation of a student pharmacist internship program at an academic medical center. Poster presented (Resident/Student Section) at UHC Poster Session 2013, Orlando, Florida.
- *Roess BM, Poppe LB. Evaluation of reported medication variances in a cancer hospital pre- and post-implementation of a new pharmacy system. Poster presented (Resident/Student Section) at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting 2013, Orlando, Florida.
- *Poppe LB, Sorensen S, Millager A, Tomari C, Paruscio A, Lamm M, Forshay E, Daniels R. Optimization of workflow to decrease turnaround time in the preparation of adult outpatient chemotherapy infusions in the cancer hospital infusion/inpatient pharmacy. Poster presented at UNC Health Care’s Annual Quality Expo 2013, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- *Moore J, Poppe LB, Savage SW. Development of a tool to facilitate achievement of specialty pharmacy accreditation standards. Poster presented at ACCP Annual Meeting 2013, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- *Lamm M, Eckel S, Savage S, Poppe L. Utilizing workflow mapping to improve outpatient chemotherapy preparation turnaround time. Poster presented at ASHP Summer Meeting 2013, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- *Cruz J, Moss MC, Chen SL, Hansen KM, Poppe LB. Prothrombin complex concentrate (PCC) for the reversal of anticoagulation with vitamin K antagonists. Poster presented (Resident/Student Section) ASHP Midyear Meeting 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- *Holler J, Poppe L, Granko R, Savage S, Eckel S. Development of a method for allocation of pharmacist resources to ambulatory clinics. Poster presented at ASHP Summer Meeting 2012, Baltimore, Maryland.
- *Nam T, Hoang V, Poppe LB. Development of clinical algorithms and evaluation of prescriber practices for the first line therapies of breast cancer and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma based on financial implications of each regimen. Poster presented (Student Section) at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting 2011, Anaheim, California.
- *Lamm M, Moore R, Hollis I, Hansen K, Poppe L. Retrospective review of recombinant factor VIIa (rFVIIa) use in cardiothoracic surgery patients. Poster presented (Resident/Student Section) at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting 2011, Anaheim, California.
- *Eckel SF, Poppe LB, White SF, Misita C, McKnight L, Yang S, Willoughby I. Development of an automated tool to document clinic-based pharmacists’ activities. Poster presented at ACCP Annual Meeting 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- *Poppe LB, Savage SS, Eckel SF. Assessment of dosing accuracy when using volumetric technique in the preparation of chemotherapy. Poster presented at ASHP Summer Meeting 2011, Denver, Colorado.
Select Invited International and National Presentations
- Amerine LB, Boreen C, Soo-Hoo W, Yaniv A. Up and coming challenges for IV room workflow automation and IV robotics. Presentation at American Society of Health-System Pharmacy’s Summer Meeting, Denver, Colorado; June 2015.
- Amerine LB. Improving IV medication safety. Presentation at Health Connect Partners, Orlando, Florida; May 2015.
- Amerine LB. How we manage procurement of oncology medications, off-label use, and formulary management. Presentation at Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association’s Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas; March 2015.
- Lamm M, Amerine L. Using lean principles to improve adult outpatient chemotherapy preparation turnaround time in a large cancer hospital infusion pharmacy. Presentation via Pharmacy Advisory Webinar Series; December 2014.
- (Poppe) Amerine L. Update on USP <800> hazardous drugs: handling in the healthcare setting. Presentation at University Health Consortium’s Annual Conference, Anaheim, California; December 2014.
- (Poppe) Amerine L, Chen SL, Savage SW. Development and impact of a factor stewardship program on drug expense, patient care, and a pharmacist’s role. Presentation at University Health Consortium’s membership via webinar; November 2014.
- Poppe L. Specialty pharmacy – how to develop. Presentation at Hematology/Oncology Pharmacists Association Practice Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois; September 2014.
- Poppe L. Medication reconciliation: standards and pharmacy involvement. Presented at ASHP/UNC Pharmacy Ground Rounds via webinar; January 2014.
- Poppe L, Armitstead J. Focus on pharmacy technicians: pushing the practice model forward. Presentation at ASHP Summer Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland; June 2012.
- Poppe L. Constructing the tools and leading the plan for getting beyond competent: Pharmacy Technicians. Presentation at ASHP Summer Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland; June 2012.
- Armitstead J, Murdaugh L, Poppe L, Trapskin P, Smith K. Are we there yet? Pushing your department forward via a robust competency and CPD program. Presentation at ASHP Summer Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland; June 2012.
Selected and Invited State and Local Presentations
- Poppe L. Medication reconciliation pearls. Presentation via video interview for NCCMedS’s rural hospital initiative, Chapel Hill, North Carolina; March 2014.
- PharmD: University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy
- MS: University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- Residency: Two-Year Health-System Pharmacy Administration, University of North Carolina Hospitals