Jill S. Bates, M.S., Pharm.D., is an attending pharmacist practicing in malignant hematology within the University of North Carolina Medical Center and an assistant professor of clinical education at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. She received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a research-based Master of Science in biochemistry and biophysics from Northern Illinois University. Jill completed an ASHP-accredited PGY1 pharmacy practice and PGY2 oncology residency at Duke University Medical Center. Jill is board-certified in oncology pharmacy.
Prior to entering the profession of pharmacy, Jill was a high school science teacher. As part of her professional service, Jill has been an active member of ASHP as well as HOPA. Jill’s involvement with ASHP has included serving on the Council on Therapeutics as vice chair and chair. Further, she served on the New Practitioner Education Advisory Group and as a member of the Educational Steering Committee, Clinical Leadership Section Advisory Group and the Preceptor Skills and Development Section Advisory Group for the Section of Clinical Specialists and Scientists. In 2012, Jill was elected chair of the Section of Clinical Scientists and Specialists. Jill participates in the Oncology Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Oncology Patient Education Committee, SRAC and the Interdisciplinary Triad Committee for performance improvement of MDE services. As part of her professional service, Jill is an active manuscript reviewer for various pharmacy journals.
In her spare time, Jill enjoys being a mom for her kids. Jill has two beautiful children, Alex (5 years old) and Payton (3 years old). She also enjoys running and gardening.
Practice Site: UNCMC
- Malignant hematology
- Experiential education
- Patient education
- ASHP Accredited Hematology/Oncology Specialty Residency, 2007-2008, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina
- ASHP Accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency, 2006-2007, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, Degree conferred, Cum Laude, May 2006
- Master of Science, Biochemistry and Biophysics, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, Degree conferred December 2002
- Bachelor of Science, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, Illinois, Degree conferred May 1998