David Etchison has been the director of communications for the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy since May 2006. His role is to tell the story of the School, letting the world know about the discoveries and advances made here and to share the contributions made by pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientists to improving health care.
Etchison’s responsibilities include
- publicizing newsworthy people, discoveries and events,
- responding to questions and requests from the media
- supporting the School’s online presence on various social media platforms and
- overseeing the School’s internal communications.
Before being named director, Etchison worked as the communications manager of the School’s Office of Advancement producing Carolina Pharmacy, the magazine of the UNC Pharmacy Alumni Association, and supporting the fund-raising efforts of the office. He came to the University in 2004 from East Carolina University where he spent two years as publications editor writing and producing view books and other major marketing pieces for ECU’s programs and offerings.
Prior to 2001, Etchison worked in public relations and marketing in both corporate and agency settings, working with clients such as Black & Decker’s consumer power tools division. He has twenty years’ experience in public relations and marketing, writing and editing, and publications design and production.
- BA in Journalism and Mass Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Graduate Certificate in Communication and Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill