Health and Safety
All students enrolled in UNC system colleges and universities, including UNC-Chapel Hill and Elizabeth City State University, are required to have health insurance coverage.
Each UNC Chapel Hill based student is required to pay the premiums for its student health insurance plan or complete a waiver if he/she already has health insurance through another plan. More information is available on .
Students enrolled in the UNC/ECSU Partnership Program on the Elizabeth City campus may choose health insurance coverage through Student Health Services at Elizabeth City State University. Please contact ECSU Student Health Services at 252-335-3267 or visit the web page for ECSU Student Health Services for more information.
In order to protect your health, the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy requires the following immunizations, or proof of immunity, for all students admitted to the School in addition to the University’s requirements. This information should be sent to the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy, Office of Student Services by May 15 of the year when the student first begins the program.
1) Hepatitis B series (consists of three shots) – The first of two shots must be completed by May 15 of the year when the student begins the program. The entire series must be completed by July 15. Please note that it takes six months to complete this series.
- If you have had the hepatitis B vaccination series, but do not have official documentation of the series, you will be required to complete the series again.
- A hepatitis B quantitative surface antibody titer (≥10m IU/ml) is required by October 1 of the first year of the program. You may submit documentation of the titer earlier than October 1.
2) Varicella (chickenpox) immunizations.
- If you have had chicken pox in the past or do not have official documentation of the vaccinations, a varicella titer is required. If the titer is negative, you must get the varicella vaccine. An affidavit of having the disease is not accepted.
3) Two tuberculosis skin tests (commonly referred to as PPD) dated one week apart and dated after March 31 of the year in which the student begins the program.
- If you have had a positive tuberculosis skin test in the past, please complete the evaluation of reactive TB Skin Test (this form should be completed by a health care).
Annual Health Requirements
- Tuberculosis testing is required annually. Evidence of testing should be provided each spring.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Training on Universal Precautions and Bloodborne/Airborne (TB) Pathogens will be conducted during Orientation for first year students and online training will be required yearly as a part of the Professional Experience Program.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) self-training is required annually and is completed through the Professional Experience Program.
Campus Health Service
Campus Health Services at UNC Chapel Hill and Student Health Services at ECSU provide quality medical care to UNC students at a very low cost.
For more information about Campus Health Services at UNC Chapel Hill, please click here.
To visit the website for Student Health Services at ECSU, please click here.
Counseling and Wellness Services
Counseling and Wellness Services is available to help students deal with personal, social, and academic problems.
For more information for UNC Chapel Hill based students, please click here.
ECSU based students can find information about counseling and wellness here.
Leave of Absence
Students who need to take a leave of absence should schedule a meeting with Wendy Cox, Assistant Dean for Professional Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the leave of absence and readmission process.